Radar migrants

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15 12:12 AM

      Hello

         For the last few days Nexrad has been showing pretty similar patterns with northbound hits all over the central valley and some sites inland from the coast. I assume these are birds and not bugs. This animation shows how sunset hits from east to west, and then radar sites go blue and green with “hits” of birds, watch California light up. There are lots of migrants going through right now.

      http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10/US_Composite_Radar/2014-5-13/

      Here is another link, watch this one just after sunset tomorrow and see what happens.

      http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

      Locally, it seems like the major portion of the birds are to the east of me, although I don’t know if it is the Santa Cruz mountains that are blocking hits over my airspace? Lots of migrant took off from Monterey today and headed out over the bay, those were the only over water hits I could see. Also it seems like the “edges” of the Central Valley are way more active than the middle of the valley. Pretty interesting stuff.

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      alvaro@...

      www.alvarosadventures.com

    • Jesse Ellis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15 11:08 AM
        I haven't been radar birding out West very much at all, but this is as good a trace as I've ever seen, and corroborates well with the number of migrants around the L.A. basin right now, and the good numbers reported here during moon watches (some people were seeing five birds per minute across the moon, which is a fairly large number if you extrapolate!)

        I'm curious about the pattern you're seeing with birds concentrating along mountain ranges and not as much in the central valley, for instance. The same pattern seems to be happening with the San Gabriels and San Bernardinos, but I also wonder if it could be a radar artifact?

        Another intriguing pattern (that I doubt is an artifact) is the number of birds moving offshore near San Diego and over the Channel Islands. I'll keep my eyes open for stowaways and castaways on the pelagic trip this weekend.

        Jesse Ellis

        --
        Jesse Ellis
        Post-doctoral Researcher
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15 11:12 AM
          Raptors soaring on updrafts?

          Jan

          Sent from Windows Mail

          Message 4 of 5 , May 15 11:19 AM
            The pattern around San Diego and the Channel Islands is certainly not an artifact, as the last few days have been remarkable here on San Clemente Island in terms of migrant numbers (predominantly Wilson's Warblers, Warbling Vireos, and Western Tanagers). Coastal San Diego (Point Loma, in particular) has been very active as well.

            Justyn Stahl
            San Clemente Island

            On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Jesse Ellis calocitta8@... [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          • David Pereksta
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15 11:43 AM
              I was on San Nicolas Island yesterday  and it too was covered with migrant landbirds. The same three predominant species that Justyn had on Clemente, but also an impressive diversity of other western migrants.

              Dave Pereksta
              Ventura

              Sent from my iPhone