Migration dates for Rufous Hummingbird

  • smldiomedea
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
      On July 4th near the summit of Hwy 108 in Mono County, I watched a
      male Rufous Hummingbird feeding on paintbrush. Seemed a little early
      for the southbound migration, but perhaps not for males. The
      specific site was at 9100' beside the north fork of Levitt Creek
      about 1/2-mile west of Hwy. 108. Does anyone have early dates for
      the migration of this species?

      Also of interest to me was the ratio of Purple Finch to Cassin's
      Finch at this location -- 1:3 -- pretty high for congeners who are
      theoretically not suppose to be sympatric. There were several pairs
      of Purple Finches along the stretch of Levitt Creek up to Levitt
      lakes. And many pairs of the more expected Cassin's. Of course, I
      might have just been seeing individual Cassin's with traits tending
      toward Purple: Like (1) about 10% bigger than the "normal" Cassin's,
      (2) unstreaked sides and undertail coverts, (3) larger bill, (4)
      distinct, distally expanding white eyeline in female.

      Gray-crowned Rosy Finches continue to work the few remaining snow
      fields on the margins of Levitt Lake, but the Northern Goshawk I have
      often seen here didn't appear in 3 days of camping. The Dippers had
      fledged sometime before July 4th, again seemingly early for this
      elevation. And the Pine Grosbeaks were anything but secretive.

      Regards,
      Stephen Long
      Oakland, CA
    • Russell Scalf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
        > Also of interest to me was the ratio of Purple Finch

        > to Cassin's Finch at this location -- 1:3 -- pretty
        > high for congeners who are theoretically not suppose

        > to be sympatric. There were several pairs
        > of Purple Finches along the stretch of Levitt Creek
        > up to Levitt lakes. And many pairs of the more
        > expected Cassin's. Of course, I
        > might have just been seeing individual Cassin's with
        > traits tending toward Purple: Like (1) about 10%
        > bigger than the "normal" Cassin's, (2) unstreaked
        > sides and undertail coverts, (3)
        > larger bill, (4) distinct, distally expanding white
        > eyeline in female.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Stephen Long
        > Oakland, CA

        I was in the Greenhorn Mts above Lake Isabella last
        June, birding between 6000 and 6800 ft. Lots of
        Caropadacus finches, and to my surprise, all of them
        Purple. Two aspects of the woodlands here were
        perhaps noteworthy: Very few pines and a good
        admixture of Black Oak. In my experience on the
        Western slope, Purple Finches seem to follow the Black
        Oak mixed woodlands upslope and seem to drop out when
        the Black Oak stops. Cassin's Finch seems to like a
        goodly proportion of pine, especially Jeffry/Pondersa
        Pine, in the tree mix. Has anyone else made these (or
        conflicting) obeservations?

        Rusty Scalf
        Berkeley, CA

        http://autos.yahoo.com
      • Richard Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
          We've had Rufous hummers at our feeders here at Tahoe since July 5. All
          adult males so far.
          Also Anna's and Calliope, all at 6800 ft.

          Richard C. Carlson
          Full Time Birder, Biker & Rotary Bureaucrat
          Part-time Economist
          Palo Alto & Lake Tahoe, CA
          rccarl@...
          650-949-9590
        • dougkaralun
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
            I saw a male Rufous in Big Bear today and another male Rufous at
            Heartbar State Park.

            My guide to Birdwatching in Riverside California shows the Rufous
            coming to Southern California for their "Fall" migration in July and
            August.

            Doug Karalun
            Highland, CA