Re: July northern CA wish list (Sage Grouse)

  • Jennifer Matkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      Hi Darrell,

      Sage Grouse can be relatively easy to see in Bodie (historic ghost town,
      turn off of 395 north of Mono Lake and south of Bridgeport, then 13
      miles to entrance kiosk). I was there on Sunday and saw a nice family
      of 5 very well. They wander the fields around the town. This
      particular family walked across the road between the entrance kiosk and
      the museum, then worked that field near the barn for a good 10-15
      minutes before I lost them in the grasses. This was mid-afternoon. I
      have had similar experiences there before.

      At least at 5,000 feet on the west side, the Sierras seem pretty quiet
      this year just based on casual observation. Many birds seemed to have
      bred early and to be off-territory already, when most years they are
      singing loudly and more visible at this time. An exception were the
      Mountain Quail, which seemed more vocal than usual and had new chicks
      with them, so good luck!

      Jennifer

      Jennifer Matkin
      San Francisco, CA