Marsh Sandpiper first light

  • Paul Lehman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2014
      A few people have asked what time was first light today at the Marsh
      Sandpiper spot--when we first could make out at least the correct
      silhouette as we scoped east well down the channel from the 90-degree
      bend. We arrived at 6AM sharp, and had the distant candidate bird in
      our scopes just ca. 10 minutes later. Yes, it was still semi-dark, but
      it was a bit better than a little later when the sun appeared directly
      in our faces and made the lighting truly awful. The question of whether
      to remain there and wait a LONG time for the light to improve, but
      noting that some yellowlegs were leaving and that most birds were
      nervous, or try the group-moving of vehicles past the birds to the east
      but which may well flush the birds to some unknown extent, is one the
      group each day will need to decide!

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2014
        As one who was there this morning, let me add that Guy McCaskie's wisdom proved prophetic, "It's better to see the bird in bad light than no bird in good light."  The attempt to move the group to the east side of the bird was a fiasco which quickly ended with birders scattered across a half-mile of road and the bird disappearing for most of the day.

        On the other hand, evening lighting is perfect from the parking area and you don't have to pass the bird to get to it.

        --
        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA