Re: RFI "Western" Flycatchers in the Warners

  • Jennifer Matkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      Hi Martin,

      For some information on WEFLs in the Warners you can search the Birdchat
      archives for some correspondence on the topic from several years ago. A
      little dated, but a starting point.

      The archives are located at:
      http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html

      There you can search under "cordilleran" and/or under my name (Jennifer
      Matkin) to find discussion on the subject. My trip report re Lava Beds
      and a series of postings called "Cordilleran Redux" include information
      on where I saw and did not see Western Flycatchers in that area. The
      region is certainly worth exploring in any event.

      Good luck!

      Jennifer

      <<I'm considering spending a few days in the Warner Mountains some time
      in the
      next few weeks. My main interest would be listening to the "Western"
      Flycatchers there, which, as I understand it, are Cordilleran by
      measurement, but which give calls suggestive of Pacific-Slope (as well
      as
      calls of Cordilleran).

      Does anyone have any suggestions for locations/hikes where I would be
      most
      likely to encounter these critters? I have never spent any time in the
      Warners despite having driven past them a number of times.
      (Any other information -- nice hikes, camping areas, etc. -- would be
      welcome also, although I can search for that information elsewhere.)

      Also, is the presumption that ALL of the summer resident "Western"
      Flycatchers up there are Cordilleran or that some birds (perhaps those
      on
      the western side) are assumed to be P.S. Flycatchers?

      Thanks,
      Martin