RFI: "Western" Flycatchers in the Warner Mountains

  • Martin Meyers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002
      I'm considering spending a few days in the Warner Mountains some time in the
      next few weeks. My main interest would be listening to the "Western"
      Flycatchers there, which, as I understand it, are Cordilleran by
      measurement, but which give calls suggestive of Pacific-Slope (as well as
      calls of Cordilleran).

      Does anyone have any suggestions for locations/hikes where I would be most
      likely to encounter these critters? I have never spent any time in the
      Warners despite having driven past them a number of times.
      (Any other information -- nice hikes, camping areas, etc. -- would be
      welcome also, although I can search for that information elsewhere.)

      Also, is the presumption that ALL of the summer resident "Western"
      Flycatchers up there are Cordilleran or that some birds (perhaps those on
      the western side) are assumed to be P.S. Flycatchers?

      Thanks,
      Martin