MARSH SANDPIPER IN SOLANO COUNTY

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2014
      Yes, there was a Marsh Sandpiper this evening found by Roger Muskat in Solano County on S. Liberty Island Road, a few miles south of intersection with Swan Road.  It was in a canal with a lot of mudflat where Liberty Island Road makes a 90 degree turn to the east.  Park at that turn where there is some parking available.  It was found around 6 pm, and I arrived about 45 minutes later and photographed the bird. It flew off and disappeared, then returned ~15 minutes later.  So it seems to like this particular location, along with numerous Greater Yellowlegs.  This is an extraordinary record for California!

      Take Hwy 113 between Hwy 12 to the south and Hwy 80 to the north.  Take Binghamton Road east from Hwy 113, this road eventually becomes Swan Road.  Take Swan Road to the end where it intersects with S. Liberty Island Road.  Turn right (south).

      good luck!

      My photos will be posted on my Recent Photos gallery in a few minutes.

      John Sterling
      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...
      www.sterlingbirds.com

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2014
        The bird is still present this morning. It is being seen by about 100 birders  so far. First chaceable record in the lower 48!

        --
        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA