Black Vulture in Humboldt County!

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
      Hi all,
      I just got a call from Brad Elvert and he and Samantha Bacon just had a BLACK VULTURE soar over them on Goble Lane with Turkey Vultures. From what it sounds like the birds were drifting to the southeast towards Ferndale/Grizzly Bluffs Rd. area.

      Good luck!

      --
      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2014
        Tom Quetchenbach, Jude Power, and I will be out there from 9:30-11:45 looking for this bird.  If you see it, please call me at 707-499-1146.  If you want us to call you if we see it, let me know (by phone or text after 9).

        Ken Burton
        Eureka

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2014
          All,
          If anybody does see the BLACK VULTURE might I suggest to please call the Northwestern California Birdbox first (707.822.LOON) and then call Ken. Stan and Michael Harris and I will be looking for this bird, also after 10 and I know some out-of-towners are going to be up here today, also.

          Rob Fowler
          McKinleyville, CA
          www.fowleropebirding.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2014
            The bird has been seen by many people today, mostly around the intersection of Goble and Sage north of Ferndale and east towards Fernbridge.  My party first saw it around 10:30 low over the Eel River.  My hunch is that it’s roosting with Turkey Vultures in the riparia in that vicinity.

            Ken Burton
            Eureka