Yuma White Ibis yes 20140215 Saturday evening.

  • Elias Elias
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2014
      At least 6 observers in two locations had the immature White Ibis this evening at 6:32-6:35. My party was at the territorial prison state park parking lot. Using binoculars, I picked up the "brown" ibis flying with two snowy egrets about 2.0 km (+-500m) east of the parking lot. These birds were flying directly over the river and were 30-50 meters over the river--quite high. These birds flew past our observation point and passed over the bridges by a good bit. Perhaps twice the height of the bridges. Once in California the birds angled to the northwest, flew over the Marantz party and disappeared from view for both parties. Marantz et al repositioned and said their party had the White Ibis roosting in a tree. They intend to be at the roost site early tomorrow to look for the ibis again. I trust Curtis will post additional details tomorrow.

      Flock on!

      Elias/Ηλίας
      Arcata CA/San Diego CA
      Walkie talkie primero=707-633-8833
      Last ditch alternate=559-433-7254

      To release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen

      JG Ballard
    • Elias Elias
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2014
        Birders

        I just wanted to post a clarification that my time was AZ time. Or course California time would be an hour earlier.

        Also, while the Territorial Prison State Park parking lot is a tranquil and a delightful place to view the scene from. A stone tower blocks the view to the northwest. A longer view of the ibis would have been had on the other side on the river. There is a tiny triangular patch of desert on the ridge immediately south of the mission. This spot is bounded by the train tracks to the southwest and the Quechan Drive to the south east. This spot is immediately north of the Quechan Drive bridge over the RR tracks. I should have parked in the mission parking lot on the east side of Quechan Drive.

        But hind sight is 20/20 and your mileage may vary.

        Here is a link that I hope shows the spot that I mean: http://goo.gl/maps/9hyAO

        Let us know if you try this spot and how it works out.

        For those geology buffs among us, the geology of this site is quite a spectacle; the river has apparently cleaved the spur in two. Quite curious considering the miles of floodplain to the north and worth pondering for a moment or two.