Re: [CALBIRDS] LIfe and Death at KMHRP.

  • Charles Bragg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2002
      At 08:34 AM 7/8/2002 -0700, Bruce Deuel wrote:
      >The Department of Fish and Game has been plagued for years by die-offs
      >of domestic ducks at parks where people feed them. The usual cause is
      >duck viral enteritis.

      <snip>

      Anyone wanting to read about DVE can see our March 1994 newsletter at http://home.att.net/~cgbraggjr/v17n7.htm The duck symptoms are close to what is happening at Harbor Park, but the species dying and living are mystifying.

      The articles in the newsletter cover all sides of the enormous controversy over analysis and treatment in the Venice Canals in Spring 1993. It was nasty.
      Here is the clinical description of DVE:

      DUCK PLAGUE (DUCK VIRUS ENTERITIS)
      Cause: A herpes virus.
      Host: Only ducks, geese, and swans. There is variation in species susceptibility to this virus. For example, blue-winged teal are most susceptible, while pintails are least.
      Transmission: Direct contact with affected birds or contaminated surfaces, ingestion of food or water contaminated with infected feces or oral discharges, inhalation of viral particles and vertical transmission from female to forming egg.
      Clinical Signs/Field Signs: Rapid death in previously healthy appearing birds. Sick birds are seldom seen but may seek cover and have ruffled feathers, extreme thirst, loss of awareness, droopy head and wing, inability to fly, sensitivity to light, blood around the vent or bill, and prolapsed penis.
      Lesions: Bands or disk shaped areas of hemorrhagic or yellow/tan tissue distributed in or on the esophagus, intestinal wall and cloaca. Blood in the digestive tract. Small white spots on the liver and hemorrhages on the heart.

      -- Chuck

      ========
      Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
      Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society: