Re: [CALBIRDS] New Member Has Question

  • Patrick McNulty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2002
      Dawn,

      I'm not sure about the small short tail, but take a look at a Common Nighthawk in a Field Guide to Birds and see if that looks familiar.

      Patrick

      Patrick McNulty Phone: (805) 967-9900
      Santa Barbara, CA E-Mail: mcnulty@...

      >>> "dawnhark" <dawnhark@...> 7/7/02 11:24:59 AM >>>
      Hi everyone, this is my first posting here. I hike a lot in the high
      Sierra, Tahoe and Alpine County areas mostly. I am not a birder, but I
      do look at and enjoy them when I see them!

      I saw a pair yesterday I'd like help with identifying. It was near
      Silver Lake on Hwy 88, around 7000' elev (guessing). One of the pair
      flew high and kept its distance, but the other was definitely
      disturbed with me for being there. Probably a territory thing, or a
      nest or chick was nearby.

      Now the hard part--how do I describe this bird!?!?! It was not a bird
      I had seen (or noticed) before. It was a bit bigger than a jay, but
      smaller than a redtail hawk--I think.

      The most noticeable marking was a white bar or band located on both
      the top and the bottom of the wing, across the width of the wing, not
      lengthwise, at about the middle of the wing.

      The tail was small and short, no flare. The wings were kind of
      boomerang shaped--backswept--but I guess that's true of a LOT of
      birds!! Umm...

      The bird was agressive and divebombed me many times. It had a very
      streamlined look. There might also have been a black marking next to
      the white bands, not sure--the overall color was neither dark nor
      light, probably gray-ish, and there may have been a russet color onder
      the wings.

      An acrobatic flyer, it seemed to me. The head looked small and the
      beak did too, from what I could see as it flew around.

      The pair called back and forth repeatedly, a short cry, can't describe
      it, sorry!!

      Can anyone help me identify this bird, or direct me to a good site
      that can help? I just joined this group after spending an hour
      floundering around on the Net, to no avail...

      Your advice and expertise are appreciated!

      Dawn, dying of curiosity

    • redhead457@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2002
        I agree with Patrick -- the Common Nighthawk is a likely "suspect."

        Linda Corey
        Stockton, CA