Black-headed Gull continues at NESS, Jan 8

  • tombenson76
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8 8:13 PM
      I drove down to the north end of the Salton Sea this afternoon (Jan 8) to chase the Black-headed Gull found this morning by Curtis Marantz and Louis Bevier at the ponds just west of Lincoln Street on 68th Avenue. I arrived about 2:30 PM, and found several hundred Ring-billed Gulls but only a few Bonaparte's Gulls. Finally around 3:30 a few more Bonaparte's Gulls began to fly in from the north, and at 3:40 PM the Black-headed Gull arrived with a flock of about 25 Bonaparte's Gulls. It swam around and bathed for a while, then flew to one of the small islands in the northwest corner of the pond to preen. At about 4:20 PM, the instant the sun disappeared behind the mountains, most of the gulls took flight with the majority going south and only a few returning to the pond. I could not re-find the Black-headed Gull again after that time. Photos linked below.

      For those going to look for the gull, take the 86S Expressway south from Interstate 10, turn east (left) on 66th Avenue (look for the Arco station), then south (right) on Lincoln Street. Turn west (right) on 68th Avenue and park along the side of the road. The pond will be on your left. The best viewing conditions will probably be in the afternoon from the northwest corner of the pond; there is a small CVWD structure that will give you an extra foot or so of elevation to see into the pond. In the morning you will have to battle the sun, so the northeast corner of the pond may be better, assuming you can see over the berm from there. If you're short bring a step stool or a pick-up truck. A scope is essential.

      Tom Benson
      San Bernardino, CA