Christmas Plovers: Record Count for SBT County + Other birds

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2013
      Howdy, Birders,

      On December 24th, I counted 269 MOUNTAIN PLOVERS at Panoche Valley, San Benito County. On December 25th, I counted 150 MOUNTAIN PLOVERS in the same areas. They are mostly feeding in one large, nearly bone bare, dry field along Panoche Road on the valley floor. At this location, Killdeer, Horned Larks, Mourning Doves and Ravens are also feeding. This is the same field that I reported about on December 20. There is a much smaller group of Mountain Plovers feeding off Panoche Road, near the Silver Creek Ranch area. There is a sizable Horned Lark flock at the second location, a few House Finches, but so far, no documented Mountain Bluebirds. Best time of day has been 2:45 pm until 3:30 pm, when the sun is shining on the large field. NOTE TO PHOTOGRAPHERS: almost none of the time have the plovers been close enough for photography.

      You will need a spotting scope to accurately count the plovers, and maybe, even to just see them. I ran into a father and son who were looking for them without success because they did not have a scope, even though they were in the right spot.

      It is very easy to submit a complete checklist for eBird because there are so few other birds around. By submitting a complete checklist, rather than an "incidental" list, your data is much more valuable. If you do this, be sure to count the plovers, one-by-one for accuracy of the threatened species.

      To view the written report about the MOUNTAIN PLOVERS, LEWIS'S WOODPECKER, RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER, MERLIN, PRAIRIE FALCON, FERRUGINOUS HAWK, GREATER ROADRUNNER and more with many photographs and detailed directions and landmarks, please see:

      This represents the highest count of Mountain Plovers in over a decade at Panoche Valley.

      Happy Trails,
      Debi Shearwater
      San Benito County Birding

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Disko Bay: Greenland, May 15-22, 2014 with Debi
      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi