Moreno Valley Red-throated Pipit details (Dec 20)

  • tombenson76
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2013
      This afternoon (Dec 20) I refound the Red-throated Pipit that David Rankin and I had initially found and tentatively identified on Tuesday, Dec 17. Thanks to Brad Singer for posting the bird earlier for me. Today the bird was hanging out with a flock of 20-30 American Pipits that were foraging around the perimeter of the athletic fields at Landmark Middle School at the west end of John F. Kennedy Drive. I initially found the flock in the northwest corner of the school (intersection of JFK and Oliver), but they flushed to the east and I found the Red-throated Pipit with the flock in the southeast corner of the school fields along Legendary Drive. The bird spent most of the time during my observation today along the north edge of the school fields on the grassy slope between the fence and the sidewalk, until the flock eventually flew west across Oliver into the barren fields.

      For those thinking of chasing the bird this weekend, the best time to look may be between about 10 AM and 2 PM, as the bird has been absent in the late afternoon (Tuesday and Friday), and in the early morning (Wednesday). In addition to the school fields, it was also seen in Fairway Park to the east (where it was originally found) and Celebrations Park to the north on Tuesday. Both times I have seen it it was with a flock of twenty or more American Pipits. It was less vocal today than it was on Tuesday, but it did call several times.

      For most of you, you will want to take the 60 East from Riverside, exit Moreno Beach Drive and go south for about three miles and turn west (right) on John F Kennedy Drive. Park along the street at the end or in the lot at Celebrations Park.

      Tom Benson
      San Bernardino, CA