July northern CA wish list

  • snorkler@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2002
      A friend of mine is coming out from Georgia next weekend and has the
      following wish list of lifers. He hasn't included pelagic species, but
      almost any of those would be new. I'm planning on taking the week off
      and we're going to spend 2 days in Yosemite, a day at Point Reyes, and a
      day on a boat going to the Farallones, plus other local trips. I'm
      looking for tips to find any/all of the following species, and the more
      specific, the better. Following the species names, I've included likely
      spots in northern CA where we'll be looking. If you have had better luck
      at different locations, we'd really appreciate your information.

      Thanks in advance

      Darrell Lee
      Alameda, CA
      snorkler@...

      Brandt�s Cormorant - Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Monterey Bay Aquarium
      Pelagic Cormorant - Pt. Reyes, Monterey Bay
      Sage Grouse - Mono Lake?
      White-tailed Ptarmigan - ?
      Mountain Quail - Yosemite, Yuba Pass, Gates Canyon (Solano)
      California Quail - lots of places
      Black Oystercatcher - Point Reyes
      Wandering Tattler - ?
      Black Turnstone - Bodega Bay
      Heerman�s Gull - Point Reyes, Carmel/Monterey
      Western Gull - sure thing
      Glaucous-winged Gull - Point Reyes
      Elegant Tern - Crissey Field?
      Common Murre - Point Reyes lighthouse
      Pigeon Guillemot - Monterey Bay, Bodega Bay
      Marbled Murrelet - ?
      Rhinoceros Auklet - Farallones
      Flammulated owl - Yosemite (HennessRidge, Merced Grove? specifics?)
      Great Grey Owl - Yosemite meadows (any in particular?)
      Northern Saw-whet Owl - ?
      Black Swift - ?
      Vaux�s Swift - ?
      Lewis�s Woodpecker - Mono Lake (South Tufa)
      Williamson�s Sapsucker - Yosemite
      Red-breasted Sapsucker - Yosemite
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker - Gates Canyon or PRBO
      Nuttall�s Woodpecker - Gates Canyon or PRBO
      White-headed Woodpecker - Yosemite
      Black-backed Woodpecker - Yosemite
      Hammond�s Flycatcher - Yosemite
      Dusky Flycatcher - Yosemite
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher - PRBO
      Cassin�s Vireo - ?
      Hutton�s Vireo - ?
      Warbling Vireo - ?
      Yellow-billed Magpie - enroute to Gates Canyon
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee - Gates Canyon or PRBO
      Oak Titmouse - Gates Canyon or PRBO
      Townsend�s Solitaire - Yosemite
      Varied Thrush - ?
      Wrentit - Point Reyes, Mix Canyon
      Sage Thrasher - Mono Lake?
      California Thrasher - Mix Canyon (Solano)?
      Townsend�s Warbler - PRBO?
      Hermit Warbler - Yosemite
      California Towhee - we'll get this one
      Brewer�s Sparrow - ?
      Sage Sparrow - Mono Lake?
      Tri-colored Blackbird - dairies on Point Reyes?
      Gray-crowned Rosy-finch - Yosemite
      Cassin�s Finch - Yosemite
      Lawrence�s Goldfinch - Mines Road near Livermore?

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • G. Mugele
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2002
        At 10:47 AM -0700 7/7/02, snorkler@... wrote:
        >A friend of mine is coming out from Georgia next weekend and has the
        >following wish list of lifers.

        Hi Darrell Lee,

        Your friend mentioned he was coming out from Brunswick to visit you
        this month. I was talking to him about birding locales in that area
        at the time. I'd love to show you some of the wanted species in and
        around Sonoma county by since getting back from FLETC I haven't had
        time to bird my own garden.

        I noted that you omitted Blue Grouse from the list, does he have that
        one already? If not Kings Ridge Rd out of Cazadero is a pretty
        reliable place. The area is also potentially good for Vaux and maybe
        the vireos... although I have to admit that I've never birded for
        passerines up there at this time of year.

        Great Grey ought to be findable at Ackerson (sp?) Meadow.... off of
        the road to Hetch Hetchy ...the last left turn from hiway 120 before
        you get to Yosemite.

        A good number of the species you seek are fairly reliable in NE
        Calif..... Lassen, Eagle Lake, Susanville, Honey Lake areas.... are
        you thinking of going in that direction at all? If so I can provide
        more specific information.

        BTW I'm Gerry Mugele from Glen Ellen. If you're inclined, you may
        call my cell at 707 322-5301.

        Good luck out there and please say Hi and thanks for the help finding
        the Red-Cockaded etc. Never did find a blasted Painted Bunting but
        discovered a colony of Grey Kingbirds which was a very big surprise.

        Gerry