Big Bear Highlights

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Just a quickie report today: spent most of the week camping up at Heart Bar
      with my friend Shirley, where there were LOTS of White-headed Woodpeckers,
      and we had a couple of Calliope Hummers coming to her feeders! The Pinyon
      Jays were still at the main campground (we were in the "yellow post" area).
      I explored my usual spots around the Lake, and "discovered" Moonridge Road
      (the road that continues past the turnoff to Bluff Lake on Mill Creek Road),
      and what a gorgeous drive!! Dipped on the Willy Sap all weekend, but had
      Mountain Quail on this road as well as lots more Whiteheads and other
      high-mountain specialties like Dusky Flycatcher and Green-tailed Towhee, and
      TONS of "Fat-billed" Fox Sparrows. At the Lake had a big bunch of White
      Pelicans, which was a first so long as I'VE been going there, anyway! Also
      had an over-summering American Wigeon seen from the loop trail at Meadow's
      Edge on the north side of the Lake. Stopped at Silverwood Lake where I again
      got Lawrence's Goldfinch along the bike trail at the first day use area you
      come to. Full bird list:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      Caspian Tern Sterna caspia
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Band-tailed Pigeon Columba fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Calliope Hummingbird Stellula calliope
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Red-breasted Sapsucker Sphyrapicus ruber
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Hairy Woodpecker Picoides villosus
      White-headed Woodpecker Picoides albolarvatus
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Olive-sided Flycatcher Contopus cooperi
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Dusky Flycatcher Empidonax oberholseri
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Violet-green Swallow Tachycineta thalassina
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
      Golden-crowned Kinglet Regulus satrapa
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Townsend's Solitaire Myadestes townsendi
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Pygmy Nuthatch Sitta pygmaea
      Red-breasted Nuthatch Sitta canadensis
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      Pinyon Jay Gymnorhinus cyanocephalus
      Clark's Nutcracker Nucifraga columbiana
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Cassin's Finch Carpodacus cassinii
      Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Red Crossbill Loxia curvirostra
      Pine Siskin Carduelis pinus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Black-throated Gray Warbler Dendroica nigrescens
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Western Tanager Piranga ludoviciana
      Green-tailed Towhee Pipilo chlorurus
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee
      Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
      Black-chinned Sparrow Spizella atrogularis
      Fox Sparrow Passerella iliaca
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

      91 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA