Pelagic mapping tool - try this

  • mendocinorjk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2013

      The UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, as part of the UC’s Ag & Natural Resources Division, recently developed a Pelagic Mapping Tool for California.   This was done to suffice the need for some of our Mendocino County bird observations that get close to SON, HUM, or SF boundaries.  The mapping tool is based upon the premise followed by the CBRC … that is: “to the point of closest land”.   Shane Feirer, who is currently working for the ANR-IGIS program developed the mapping tool.   If you follow the below directions you can try it out.  Make sure that you use the attached EXCEL calculator to find your decimal lat-long coordinates.    (the mapping tool was down yesterday but is now up and running).   Let me know if you have problems …good luck.

      1)      Go to our HREC website:  http://ucanr.edu/sites/hopland/ and select the pelagic mapping tool.

      2)      Use the attached excel calculator to enter lat-long coordinates and convert them to decimal coordinates (I can't figure out how to attach the EXCEL calculator ...so email me if you need it and I will send to you)

      3)      Select the “green box” and copy the decimal coordinates (from the EXCEL)

      4)      Type or paste the decimal coordinates into the query box on the pelagic mapping tool and hit “enter” …and it should map the location for you

      5)      Make sure that you zoom in on “close-to-boundary” observations … otherwise it can fool you (example -124.628611 39.565278 looks like MEN until you zoom in to find out it is just barely into HUM waters)  This was Paul’s Hawaiian Petrel of 18 July 2013 at 39 33 55, 124 37 43

      Bob Keiffer    Hopland MEN    rjkeiffer@...

    • kradamaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2013

         Hi Bob,

        Nice tool!  I just love how Orange and San Diego counties get gyped by LA county ;-).  It appears the southern boundaries of LA and Ventura dip a bit too far into Mexico, by about 100 miles. Compare to the US Maritime International boundaries.

        http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=a452068c1f7f4561ba9c7fee2961d359&extent=-86.2565,33.1758,-65.3824,42.8933

        Best

        Kurt Radamaker

        Cave Creek, AZ

        ---In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, <rjkeiffer@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Elias Elias
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2013
          Hi Bob

          Kudos to you and Hopland for publishing this. Kurt has a sharp eye and is certainly correct. It looks as if the coverage didn't buffer off of Isla Guadalupe/use the treaty line with Mexico. I would submit a dozen or so other tweaks that ought to be made if Hopland is open to making a "Pelagic Mapping Tool 2.0." Most of my proposed tweaks involve the nearshore waters. But my most significant proposed tweak involves Begg Rock several miles Northwest of San Nicolas. It is evidently a "drying rock" and therefore subject to the 3/12/24 nautical mile limits of Territorial Waters/Contiguous Zone and would seem to be a part of Ventura. This proposed mod would eat into Santa Barbara's marine listing area by several miles and can claim several dozen more square miles for Ventura's Marine Listing Area. One can visualize this by turning on the OpenStreetMap Basemap layer in Hopland's map. Note how the blue line is too close to the pink line. But with sea level rise this may be moot in a few years.  The island may disappear.

          It is also important to note that Redding Rock (Humboldt) and The Saint George reef (Del Norte) also substantially impact the waters at the Oregon-California frontier and again this withholding ceeds many square miles to Oregon.

          If you would like me to enumerate the piddily stuff just tap me.

          Flock on!

          Elias/Ηλίας
          Arcata CA/San Diego CA
          Walkie talkie primero=707-633-8833
          Last ditch alternate=559-433-7254

          To release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen

          JG Ballard

[...]

        • eastbaybotanist
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2014
            It's been almost a year since this thread was last alive. I have been searching in vain for the .kmz file that demarcates the county lines.

            Does anyone have the .kmz file that formerly was available at:

            HREC website:  http://ucanr.edu/sites/hopland/

            If so, can you send it to me? I would love to load it into a gps unit for use on my next couple pelagic trip. Extra points if I can get it very soon... as in tonight.

            Thanks!

            Michael Park
            Berkeley

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2014
              Actually, it was a .gpx file that was formerly available with the pelagic and terrestrial county lines. It must be out there somewhere.

              Michael Park
              Berkeley