Masked Booby Report

  • Wanda
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2013
      The group that was on the noon trip yesterday did NOT see the Masked Boobies!
      I understand it was on the 3 pm trip.    We did have 2 No. Fulmars, some Black-vented Shearwaters, two pods of hundreds of Common Dolphins,  4 sp. Terns, 3 or 4 sp Gulls and misc. others.   Not a lot, but one of the most beautiful days on the ocean--calm, warm, & short with at least 18  birders & around 40 on board, so easy to move around w/space for 149.

      There are two 2 -2 1/2 hr trips daily: noon & 3pm.   Capt Carl suggested that the 3 pm trip is your better bet, with the premise the Boobies are probably out feeding during the day & coming back to one of the buoys at days end to rest overnight.   Makes a problem for driving home in traffic so you may want to stop for dinner first.

      If you want to confirm the birds were seen the previous day, call 562-432-4900.   In any event, do let them know you are there to see the Boobies and they will take extra efforts to find them.  (Hopefully the Captain will follow thru and start putting positive & negative reports on our LACoBirds@yahoogroups.com website, plus let us know about the Short-tailed Shearwater that shows up in Jan or Feb.)

      Tickets may be purchased there or ahead at www.2seewhales.com.   Regular tickets  there are $45 with senior tix at $40.    Bit less if you buy online, w/ the mid-week cost at $35 plus $2 fee totaling $37.     Your best bet if two going is purchasing 2 tix for $49 from Groupon.com

      Directions:   From the 405 Fwy, go south on the 710 LongBeach/Pasadena Fwy south  10 miles.  Take the well-marked Downtown/Aquarium exit to the left onto W. Shoreline Drive for 1.9 mi.  Turn left onto  S. Pine Ave .3 mi.  which takes you to the easiest parking which is in the Aquarium parking structure for $8.   Exit left from the parking structure elevators toward Harbor Breeze Cruises  in Rainbow Harbor adjacent to the Aquarium.

      Other thoughts:   Days aren't always as wonderful, so be sure to have a wind-proof & warm jacket, hat w/a cord, sunglasses.   Maybe clear soda & soda crax if you tend to be seasick.   Food/drinks available on board.   Some of us are planning to go on the Fri 3 pm trip if bird seen today.

      Cheers & Good Luck,
      Wanda Dameron
      West San Fernando Valley