20 BLUE FOOTED and 1 BROWN

  • daviddiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2013
      Today, Sunday Oct 12, my wife and I took the Island Packers morning 3 hour wildlife cruise
      ( which ended up lasting 4 hours) providing superb viewing of the continuing BLUE-FOOTED BOOBIES, of which we counted 20, including 2 adults, all perched below the lighthouse on Anacapa Island. Yesterdays' Pelagic ( which i was on) only counted 7 if i am not mistaken.
      The continuing juvenile BROWN BOOBY on the Ventura Harbor detached breakwater also showed very well. The Captain and on-board naturalist were keen on showing all 13 passengers on board ( it was a luxury to have so much space ) these 2 species , explaining their significance to mostly non-birders and allowing plenty of time for photography. This was the best "mini-pelagic" I ever took, a bargain for $36. We thoroughly enjoyed bow-riding dolphins and a feeding frenzy with dolphins shepherding the fish which brought in various seabirds by the 100s including shearwaters and many dive-plunging Brown Pelicans. After the Bf Boobies, we circled the backside of Anacapa, The sea was calm, the scenery inspiring and the animal life diverse,
      a perfect fall morning.

      Among the additional species of interest to us were:
      Black-vented Shearwater 100's, including many participating in the frenzy
      Pink-footed Shearwater 5
      Sooty Shearwater. 3
      Northern Fulmar 1
      Cassin's Auklet 4
      Parasitic Jaeger 2 juv
      Pomarine Jaeger 1 adult
      Elegant Terns - 30 +
      Black Oystercatcher 1
      Black Turnstone 1
      Willet 1
      (the usual gulls and the 3 cormorants species)
      BALD EAGLE 2 , established pair on West Anacapa
      Risso's Dolphins 12*

      BOTTLE-NOSED DOLPHIN 1
      Long-beaked Common Dolphin 20+
      California Sea Lions, many hauled out on the far back side of Anacapa
      BLUE SHARK-1 well seen in clear water
      Mola Mola -1

      David Diller
      Mountain View