POSSIBLE franklins gull at ano nuevo?

  • mehear2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29 11:16 PM
      hello birders,

      a couple days ago my father and i were doing some birding along the
      coast, and dropped by on an old favorite; Ano Nuevo. there we found a
      small-sized, black-headed gull which we presumed was Bonapartes among
      the many Western and Heermans. as we checked all the field marks,
      most of them pointed to Franklins gull. the feet were dark, there was
      a "zebra" pattern on the wing tip, white trailing edge to the wing,
      clean underwing, the white broken eyering was more prominent and
      clean neck were some of the field marks pointing to Franklins Gull.
      the only field mark pointing to Bonapartes Gull was the bill which
      looked black. we were debating between the gulls, both of which are
      rare at this time of year, and wanted some other opinions. if
      somebody makes it out to Ano Nuevo, please reply!

      mihir (pleasanton)