Seven Species of Shearwaters: October 5 Monterey

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013
      Hello, Cal Birders,

      Shearwater Journeys' October 5th pelagic trip was just fabulous. SEVEN SPECIES OF SHEARWATERS were observed: 1 GREAT (repeatedly seen, sitting on the water, flying with flocks, etc., photographed), 1 MANX (photographed), 1 FLESH-FOOTED, 10 BULLER'S, 1320 PINK-FOOTED and 310 (pathetically low) SOOTYS. Eight species of shearwaters in one day is the world record. This happened two times on Shearwater Journeys' trips, both trips during October.

      Other highlights included: 5 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES; 1 SOUTH POLAR SKUA; 2 (lingering) PIGEON GUILLEMOTS; 1 (fly away) "XANTUS'S"- type MURRELET; 52 CASSIN'S AUKLETS (nearly absent from Monterey Bay for the past few falls); 240 RHINOCEROS AUKLET.

      NORTHERN FULMARS made an obvious movement into the region in the past five days, with 193 recorded on this trip. Marine mammals included: 1 MINKE WHALE (off Big Sur area), 9 HUMPBACKS, 10 RISSO'S DOLPHINS.

      All birds were for Monterey County. The sea conditions were so good that we went 27 miles south, enjoying beautiful views of the Big Sur Coast the entire clear and sunny day. Perfect day for heading this direction. As in past years when we've covered this region, we found many mixed species rafts of shearwaters. In fact, I had remarked early on that the last time I was down there, a Great Shearwater was found.

      Spaces are available on our October 13 & 25 Monterey trips; October 27 & November 16 Half Moon Bay trips; October 18 Bodega Bay trip; and only 3 spaces are available on our October 20 trip departing from Sausalito for the Farallon Islands in hopes of seeing great white shark activity. Please email me for reservations.

      See you out there!
      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Disko Bay: Greenland, May 15-22, 2014 with Debi
      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi

    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2013
        Hi Deb!

        Great trip!  But there's only six species listed.  Was the seventh Black-vented or Short-tailed?

        Good birding!
        Ed

[...]

        Regards,
        Ed