2 Masked Boobies just off Long Beach

  • Barbara Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      Sunday evening, Oct 6, I received a phone call from Kurt Radamaker, who was on a cruise ship which had just departed Long Beach on its way to southern Baja and points south, which Kurt was taking for its very good seabirding potential. At around 5:30 PM, after leaving dock near where the Queen Mary is moored, and about 1/4 mile PAST the outermost jetty of the harbor, he saw and photo'd 2 MASKED BOOBIES together on a white-and-red buoy marker with the letters "LB" on it (presumably stands for "Long Beach" and so many of the buoys here may have such lettering!). He said that one of the birds appears to be a full adult with a greeny-yellow bill, and thus clearly a Masked; whereas the other bird is younger and may or may not be identifiable past the Masked/Nazca Booby level.  I have no idea what from-shore access points may or may not exist that would give one a distant view of this buoy, or if one would need to be on a boat to see it well enough. Of course the birds could also roost on one of the jetties...

      --Paul Lehman,  San Diego