Williamson's Sapsucker and wave on Farallones

  • Jim Tietz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2013
      Hey all, Just a quick message that the Farallones got its first island record of Williamson's Sapsucker today, a male.  We got a few good photos, but we cannot relocate the bird now. We are having a pretty good wave today of western birds, mostly sparrows: Golden-crowned, White-crowned, Savannah, and Fox, including one that we just caught that is a zaboria Red Fox Sparrow. A few warblers: Black-throated Gray, Yellow, Orange-crowned, Yellow-rump, and Yellowthroat. Lots of thrushes, mostly Hermit and a few Swainson's, including one Olive-backed. Good numbers of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and two Hammond's Flycatchers. A few raptors like White-tailed Kite, Sharpie, and Harrier. The most interesting thing about this wave is the preponderance of adults, maybe 5 to 1 over juveniles if you consider only songbirds. The Sandhill Crane, which arrived last week, is still present on the island. And the Northern Gannet is still here. This is looking to be a good day to start our week-long Farallonathon, our annual fundraiser. You can follow our progress on our Los Farallones blog. I'll post an update today explaining it and how you can contribute if you so desire. Here's the link:

      http://www.losfarallones.blogspot.com/

      Good birding!
      Jim

      James R. Tietz