Sneaky Shearwater

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2013
      Howdy, Cal Birders,

      New images that have come to "light" of the incredible shearwater rafts as reported on the Shearwater Journeys' September 28, 2013 Half Moon Bay pelagic trip reveal a GREAT SHEARWATER in flight with Buller's and Pink-footed Shearwaters! Although we scanned these flocks quite closely, this just goes to show how one shearwater can be missed. We were very focused on finding unusual shearwaters, and did pick out 8 Flesh-footed Shearwaters, but missed 'seeing' this Great Shearwater which was in San Mateo County. I hope to have a trip report with images soon.

      Meanwhile, the trip report for Shearwater Journeys' September 27, 2013 Monterey Bay trip is complete, including birds in Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties. Highlights included MANX and FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 4 TUFTED PUFFINS and an encounter with a special hybrid Slocum electric glider, a type of AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle). The AUV is perhaps, the rarest offshore sighting this season.

      October is a 'great' month for sea birding. Shearwater Journeys set a world record of eight species of shearwaters seen in one day, two times over— two different sets of eight shearwaters.

      Spaces are available on Monterey trips: October 5, 13, 15; Half Moon Bay trips: October 27 & November 16; Bodega Bay: October 18 and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands for great white sharks and seabirds: October 20. Please email me for a reservation.

      Sneaky Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi