bird trip

  • ron and Polly Maertz
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
      Hi
      We will be taking a trip to Southern California in late Oct and early Nov.
      We will be staying a week
      by Palm Springs. Is there a Rare Bird Alert for that area? Where is the best
      place to find recent
      sightings for that area? Any suggestions where to bird that time of year? We
      have some info and books for that area but they are fairly dated. We will be
      driving I-5 at least one way from southern
      Oregon and possibly coming back east of the Sierras if the weather behaves
      itself . Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Ron Maertz
      Glide, Or
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi!

        First, you should buy a copy of the ABA Guide for Southern California by Brad Schramm.  You will be spending hundreds of dollars to get down here, another $20 for the book just makes sense.  There you can determine where to go by what species you want to see.

        The RBA for that area is called inland county birds on Yahoo, and you MUST subscribe if you haven't already.  It's one of the best in the state, and there are a lot of active, competent birders who contribute to it.

        If you're in Palm Springs, you should spend at least two full days in and around the Salton Sea.  Actually, there's a bird guide for that, and it's excellent!  You can find out more at www.southwestbirders.com.

        Also check Joe Morland's Southern California bird site.  He has good spots  listed county by county.

        Another good spot is Big Morongo Canyon just northeast of Palm Springs off of highway 62.  You may also want to take an early morning ride on the Palm Springs aerial tramway.  In minutes you're in the higher mountains and can usually find some good montane species.

        Good luck and good birding!
        Ed

        Pasadena, CA

        >We will be taking a trip to Southern California in late Oct and early Nov.
        >We will be staying a week
        >by Palm Springs. Is there a Rare Bird Alert for that area? Where is the best
        >place to find recent
        >sightings for that area? Any suggestions where to bird that time of year? We
        >have some info and books for that area but they are fairly dated. We will be
        >driving I-5 at least one way from southern
        >Oregon and possibly coming back east of the Sierras if the weather behaves
        >itself . Any help would be appreciated.
        >Thanks
        >Ron Maertz
        >Glide, Or

        >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        ><*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        ><*> To change settings online go to: