Shearwaters & Puffins: Sep 27, 2013

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27 9:35 PM
      Howdy, Cal Birders,

      Highlights of Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip from Monterey Bay today included: 1 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER in Monterey County; 1 MANX SHEARWATER in Santa Cruz County; 2 TUFTED PUFFINS in Monterey County; 2 TUFTED PUFFINS in Santa Cruz County. It was a fabulous day offshore, teaming with marine life — shearwaters, loads of alcids= Common Murres (240 Monterey/1080 Santa Cruz), Rhinoceros Auklets (85 Monterey/800 Santa Cruz), Risso's dolphins, huge herds of up to 600 feeding California sea lions continue with the feeding humpback whales. It was quite a spectacle, the likes of which I have not seen for many years. Lots and lots of active marine life. A full trip report will follow on my blog.

      We still have spaces on Monterey trips: October 5, 13, 25; Half Moon Bay Oct 6, 27 and Nov 16; Bodega Bay on Oct 18; and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands on Oct 20 to search for great white sharks and seabirds. I can only be reached by email at this time.

      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi