Trip Report: Sep 22, 2013 Half Moon Bay

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2013
      Hello, CAL Birders,

      Shearwater Journeys' trip report for September 22, 2013 for San Mateo and San Francisco Counties with images by Mark Rauzon, is available at:

      Highlights included 2 different FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, one in each of the counties; one LAYSAN ALBATROSS; a grand slam on the jaegers, SOUTH POLAR SKUAS and most of the fall seabirds. It was great to see seven MARBLED MURRELETS, including 2 calling juveniles, return to the area just outside of the harbor. Recent squid fishing activity seems to have impacted these small alcids. Now, the squid fishermen have moved elsewhere.

      Our next trips departing from Half Moon Bay with spaces available are: Sep 28 & 29; Oct 6 & 27 and Nov 16. We plan to go to both counties, as we have done on all of our trips this season.

      Please note: I mistakenly listed our next Bodega Bay trip with an incorrect date. The correct date is Oct 18. We will be departing from Sausalito for the Farallon Islands on Oct 20, in search of seabirds and great white sharks.

      Spaces are still available on our Monterey departures: Oct 5, 13 and 25.

      See you out there!
      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi