Record Breaking Storm-Petrel Counts

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2013
      Hello, CAL Birders,

      Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip offshore from Bodega Bay was simply awesome! We recorded incredible numbers of storm-petrels, as reported by co-leader, Peter Pyle. This spectacular sighting of 17,325+ storm-petrels of four species: ASHY, FORK-TAILED, BLACK and WILSON'S dominated our thoughts and put us nearly speechless at times. While Peter Pyle, Steve Howell and I each have close to four decades of looking at and counting storm-petrel rafts off Central California, this day was a stunner and one for the pelagic history books.  We also saw a GRAND SLAM on the jaegers with POMARINE, PARASITIC, LONG-TAILED and several SOUTH POLAR SKUAS. Most of the usual fall seabirds were sighted throughout the day. However, with so many BLUE WHALES around, indicating that they were likely feeding on krill, the question in my mind was: Where are all of the CASSIN'S AUKLETS? We spent most of the day in MARIN COUNTY. Marine mammals put on a good show with 5 species of cetaceans and 5 species of pinnipeds recorded. The complete trip report, along with images by Steve Howell, can be found at:

      Our next trip departing from Bodega Bay is OCT 20th. Spaces are also available on our departures from Half Moon Bay, easily accessible from the Bay area, on SEP 28 & 29; OCT 6 & 27; NOV 16. Don't forget our trip to the Farallon Islands, departing from Sausalito on OCT 20 to look for Great White Sharks and seabirds. Spaces are available on all of these trips. Contact me for a reservation and details.

      We can take you out there!
      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi