Re: [CALBIRDS] Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

  • Daniel Sloan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
      Perhaps it has something to with hurricane season – a hurricane in the Gulf, and a tropical storm in the Pacific (although the latter is pretty far south right now, around Oaxaca).

      Cheers,
      Dany Sloan
      LA, CA

      From: Ed Stonick <edstonick@...>
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:24:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
      To: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett@...>, "calbirds@yahoogroups.com" <calbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

      Greetings!

      Thanks for the summary of observations Kimball.  I, too, wondered about the distribution of sightings but also why there are so many at once, when most years there are single birds or none at all.  Someone suggested extraordinary nesting success, as most of the birds seen are juveniles.  Could there also be a food problem down south driving the birds up north?

      Good birding,
      Ed

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
        Kimball et al.

        Add at least one more to the list. Found at Pt. Pinos this evening:

        Thanks

        Brian

        --
        ===========
        Brian L. Sullivan

        eBird Project Leader

        www.ebird.org

        Photo Editor
        Birds of North America Online
        http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
      • natureali
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2013

          A quick trip to Obsidian Butte in Salton Sea revealed 39 Blue-footed Boobies = 33 on one rock alone. Ran into a friend who had been circumnavigating the sea and his count was up to 103 from Riverside County down the west side and he was working his way north on the east side when I saw him.

          Some of the boobies displayed yellow in their feet, but nothing lead me to think they were any other species. https://www.flickr.com/photos/natureali/10149387836/

          Ali Sheehey

          Weldon, CA