Re: [CALBIRDS] Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

  • Daniel Sloan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
      Perhaps it has something to with hurricane season – a hurricane in the Gulf, and a tropical storm in the Pacific (although the latter is pretty far south right now, around Oaxaca).

      Cheers,
      Dany Sloan
      LA, CA

      From: Ed Stonick <edstonick@...>
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:24:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
      To: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett@...>, "calbirds@yahoogroups.com" <calbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

      Greetings!

      Thanks for the summary of observations Kimball.  I, too, wondered about the distribution of sightings but also why there are so many at once, when most years there are single birds or none at all.  Someone suggested extraordinary nesting success, as most of the birds seen are juveniles.  Could there also be a food problem down south driving the birds up north?

      Good birding,
      Ed

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
        Another two individuals to consider are the one found in Lake Patagonia south of Tucson, Arizona, within the past few weeks, and one in Eastern New Mexico in mid August.

        If you zoom in on this map and limit it to the current year (http://tinyurl.com/2013boobies) you'll see both these individuals and the recent records around the LA Basin.

        Jesse Ellis
        West Los Angeles

        --
        Jesse Ellis
        Post-doctoral Researcher
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013

          Good nudge from Kimball.  I (and perhaps others?) did a booby search around the north end of the Salton Sea today, Sept 15, checking many of the likely spots, but NOT the most likely spot. Nudge. A lovely day of course, pelican and herons to  the extreme. Noticing that the gulls are all on the west side, and the big dark ones are scarce. I had thought that the summer Red-breasted Merganser flock at 81st was declining, burt all nine were present today. The Black Tern swarm of late was down to a single. Salt Creek remains "closed for the season" as does Corvina Beach and Mecca Beach.
          Chet

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
            Kimball et al.

            Add at least one more to the list. Found at Pt. Pinos this evening:

            Thanks

            Brian

            On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Kimball Garrett <kgarrett@...> wrote:

[...]

            ===========
            Brian L. Sullivan

            eBird Project Leader

            www.ebird.org

            Photo Editor
            Birds of North America Online
            http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
          • natureali
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2013

              A quick trip to Obsidian Butte in Salton Sea revealed 39 Blue-footed Boobies = 33 on one rock alone. Ran into a friend who had been circumnavigating the sea and his count was up to 103 from Riverside County down the west side and he was working his way north on the east side when I saw him.

              Some of the boobies displayed yellow in their feet, but nothing lead me to think they were any other species. https://www.flickr.com/photos/natureali/10149387836/

              Ali Sheehey

              Weldon, CA