Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013

      Birders,

      In the past three days there have been at least 12 Blue-footed Boobies sighted at three coastal locations and three additional inland locations (5 to 15 miles from the ocean) just within Los Angeles County alone.  Add to these birds seen in the past few days on the lower Santa Ana River in Orange County, in coastal San Diego County at La Jolla, and well inland at Lake Skinner (5 birds) and Borrego Springs (plus a bird at Pt. Reyes), and it's clear there is a major "invasion" going on.  But, shockingly, there has yet to be a single report from the Salton Sea, and nearly every other past invasion involved multiples at the Sea and smaller numbers of individuals farther north and west (including on the coast).  I know that access to some areas of the Salton Sea has recently been limited by impassible roads due to rain and mud, but could anybody who has checked the Sea in the past couple of days please chime in on whether the absence of boobies there is real or just a function of coverage.  A route from the northern Gulf of California northwest through the Salton Sink and our deserts and on to the coastal slope seems to have been the norm in past booby events, but maybe this incursion has come up the west coast of Baja?

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

      213-763-3368

      kgarrett@...

      http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
        Greetings!

        Thanks for the summary of observations Kimball.  I, too, wondered about the distribution of sightings but also why there are so many at once, when most years there are single birds or none at all.  Someone suggested extraordinary nesting success, as most of the birds seen are juveniles.  Could there also be a food problem down south driving the birds up north?

        Good birding,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA

[...]

        Regards,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA
        edstonick@...
      • Daniel Sloan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
          Perhaps it has something to with hurricane season – a hurricane in the Gulf, and a tropical storm in the Pacific (although the latter is pretty far south right now, around Oaxaca).

          Cheers,
          Dany Sloan
          LA, CA

[...]

        • Christopher Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
            Dave Furseth just reported FIVE Blue-foots at Lake Skinner near
            Temecula. 1 adult and 4 juveniles. Since I'm at my in-laws near Palm
            Springs, I might just hit the Sea tomorrow!

            --
            Christopher Taylor
            Marina del Rey, CA

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2013
              Another two individuals to consider are the one found in Lake Patagonia south of Tucson, Arizona, within the past few weeks, and one in Eastern New Mexico in mid August.

              If you zoom in on this map and limit it to the current year (http://tinyurl.com/2013boobies) you'll see both these individuals and the recent records around the LA Basin.

              Jesse Ellis
              West Los Angeles

              On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Ed Stonick <edstonick@...> wrote:

[...]

              Post-doctoral Researcher
              Dept. of Integrative and Comparative Biology,
              UCLA
            • Kristie Nelson
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
                Just to follow up about the question of inland (Salton Sea) records - and to add another to the bunch...
                There was a Blue-footed Booby at Mono Lake on Aug. 25 (I believe this would have been the first record of this pulse?).

                Very unfortunately, though, the photos of it are not available. Story was, Mono Lake Committee intern Max Henkels was leading the early evening naturalist walk at Mono Lake's south tufa reserve. Some tourists on his walk showed him photos on their digital camera of this strange bird that that they saw at Navy Beach earlier that afternoon - and wondered if he knew what it was. He said it was an obvious Blue-footed Booby standing on the shoreline of Mono Lake (and even zoomed the image up on the feet - Must've been nice pictures...). Unfortunately, he did not get their contact information to obtain copies of the photos, but I think the record is good, especially considering the invasion which has followed.

                - Kristie

                To: calbirds@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013

                  Good nudge from Kimball.  I (and perhaps others?) did a booby search around the north end of the Salton Sea today, Sept 15, checking many of the likely spots, but NOT the most likely spot. Nudge. A lovely day of course, pelican and herons to  the extreme. Noticing that the gulls are all on the west side, and the big dark ones are scarce. I had thought that the summer Red-breasted Merganser flock at 81st was declining, burt all nine were present today. The Black Tern swarm of late was down to a single. Salt Creek remains "closed for the season" as does Corvina Beach and Mecca Beach.
                  Chet

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
                    Kimball et al.

                    Add at least one more to the list. Found at Pt. Pinos this evening:

                    Thanks

                    Brian

                    On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Kimball Garrett <kgarrett@...> wrote:

[...]

                    ===========
                    Brian L. Sullivan

                    eBird Project Leader

                    www.ebird.org

                    Photo Editor
                    Birds of North America Online
                    http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
                  • natureali
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2013

                      A quick trip to Obsidian Butte in Salton Sea revealed 39 Blue-footed Boobies = 33 on one rock alone. Ran into a friend who had been circumnavigating the sea and his count was up to 103 from Riverside County down the west side and he was working his way north on the east side when I saw him.

                      Some of the boobies displayed yellow in their feet, but nothing lead me to think they were any other species. https://www.flickr.com/photos/natureali/10149387836/

                      Ali Sheehey

                      Weldon, CA