New October San Diego pelagic trip

  • Bruce Rideout
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13 12:04 PM
      In response to popular demand, we have replaced our October double overnight pelagic trip with a single 12-hour trip on Sunday October 13th. As with our now sold-out trip on October 5th, we'll be covering the 9 & 30 Mile Banks in San Diego waters, with a possible brief excursion into Los Angeles waters as we pursue storm-petrel rafts. Storm-petrels should be one of the highlights of the trip, with good chances for Black, Least, Ashy, and three subspecies of Leach's. Since this has been such a good year for Craveri's murrelets, there is a slight chance we could still pick up this species, though mid-October is the tail end of the season for them. There is also a slight chance that we'll encounter Guadalupe Murrelets near the 30 Mile Bank, although we typically need to overnight trips to get far enough offshore for them. Expected species include Pink-Footed and Black-vented Shearwaters, Red Phalarope, Sabine's Gull, Rhinoceros and Cassin's Auklets, and other Fall migrants. We also expect fair chances for Red-billed Tropicbird, Flesh-footed and Buller's Shearwaters, Northern Fulmar, Long-tailed Jaeger, Arctic Tern, and South Polar Skua. This will also be a great trip for marine mammals. Additional trip details and sign-up information can be found at www.socalbirding.com.

      Bruce Rideout
      Socalbirding.com advertising lackey
      La Mesa, CA