Pelagic Highlights: Sep 8, 2013

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2013
      Howdy, Birders,

      Just a few highlights from Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay, today, Sep 8, 2013:
      1 GREAT SHEARWATER, 1 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, 35 WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS; 8000+ ASHY STORM-PETRELS in a hugh raft; 20 BLACK STORM-PETRELS; 6 SCRIPP'S MURRELETS; 3 TUFTED PUFFINS + loads more marine life. Sea surface temperatures nearly reached 62F, with clear, blue water. The ocean just exploded with life in this region. It was quite sensational. The LARGE-BILLED SAVANNAH SPARROW which we found a few days back, was on the breakwater jetty today. Apparently, it is doing quite well, feeding on kelp flies. At least that's what I've seen it catching. Offshore, we also saw 2 YELLOW WARBLERS and one GREATER YELLOWLEGS. An AMERICAN REDSTART landed on another vessel, in San Francisco County, offshore.

      Our next trip departing from Half Moon Bay is tomorrow, Sep 9. Spaces are available. This was day 3 of 11 days of pelagic trips. On Sep 10, our trip departs from Monterey and we plan to spend as much of the day as possible in Santa Cruz County. We also have trips departing from Monterey on Sep 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. Sep 16, we return to Half Moon Bay, and Sep 20 we depart from Bodega Bay.

      See you out there.
      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi