Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: News from the California Bird Records Committee

  • tgmiko@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 7, 2013
      Interesting. I have always assumed that some biology grad students would be thrilled to make these exotics as the subject of a Masters or PhD thesis. It could be done within spitting distance of a dozen or so universities.
      This somewhat assumes that said grad student is also a hard-core birder (who, of course, will not fudge their data for selfish purposes a la the 1919 White Sox). Not necessarily: during my banding days I met biology grad students in various parts of the state to whom birds are research subjects interchangeable with lizards or fish.

      Thomas G. Miko
      Http://www.tgmiko.com
      Claremont 91711, LA County
      Mobile: 909.241.3300
      Home: 909.445.1456
      Other Mobile: 213.471.6001

      "The universe is expanding. This should help with the traffic."- Stephen Wright
      Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 21, 2014
        Birders,

        The Western Field Ornithologists' California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting on 17-18 January 2014 in Los Gatos. Below is a brief summary of actions, compiled by Committee Chair Joseph Morlan, relating to committee membership, the state list, and the review list.

        The CBRC web site http://www.californiabirds.org has been updated by webmaster Joseph Morlan to reflect these actions.

        Brian Daniels, John Garrett and Jim Tietz were elected to three-year terms on the Committee. We welcome back Jim who has served previously and has continued to help with the on-line CBRC database. Brian and John will be serving their first terms on the Committee. Rotating off the committee are Kristie Nelson, Jim Pike and Scott Terrill. Joseph Morlan will continue as Chair, Dan Singer as vice-chair and Guy McCaskie as CBRC Secretary.

        Among various by-law revisions was approval of a provision to change the northern offshore boundary with Oregon to the area where the nearest point of land is within 200 nautical miles of the California coast. The area south of 42°N latitude had been used in the past. This change will eliminate a small wedge of offshore waters that were previously considered part of our California waters, but apparently only a single accepted record (of a "Dark-rumped" Petrel) has occurred in that area.

        The committee voted to create a new category (RI) for the California Condor to indicate reintroduction in progress. This species was formerly listed as extirpated (E). Also Nazca Booby was removed from the Supplemental List of species which are of uncertain natural occurrence (the rationale being that the Supplemental List is for species whose provenance is uncertain, whereas we know exactly
        what happened with the ship-assisted Nazca Booby).

        One species group ("frigatebird sp.") was added to the review list based on a vote at the 2013 meeting, while three species and one species pair were removed.

        Removed were:
        Hawaiian Petrel and Galapagos/Hawaiian Petrel (now regular offshore)
        Neotropic Cormorant (increasing rapidly in the Imperial Valley, breeding).
        Pine Warbler (regular winter visitor in coastal Southern California).

        Records of these species beginning 1 January 2014 will not be reviewed by the Committee. However, we continue to urge those who observe these species (and all other rarities) in California to thoroughly document sightings and provide details to the appropriate North American Birds regional or sub-regional editors as well as through eBird.

        Among many additional topics discussed was the desire for photo submissions to be in the form of separate JPEG's with the original metadata (exif) generated by digital cameras rather than (or in addition to) embedded in word processing documents. We continue to urge observers to provide written context with all photo submissions, including circumstances of the sighting, description of behaviors and vocalizations, and anything else not evident in photographs. A revised submission form was approved and is available on our web site.

        Lastly the committee is seeking a volunteer who is familiar with programming in MS Access to help us with our database. We need help creating queries and macros, and updating tables. Please contact Joe
        Morlan (jmorlan@...) if you think you can help.

        We are grateful to H. T. Harvey and Associates for hosting the meeting and generously supplying the sandwiches and pizza that got us through many long discussions; many thanks to CBRC members Steve Rottenborn and Scott Terrill for arranging this. The CBRC thanks its outgoing members for their service, and all of the observers who have submitted documentation of records to the CBRC over the past year.

        This news posted by the CBRC "press secretary":
        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        kgarrett@...
        http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology
      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 9, 2015

          The California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting at the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology in Camarillo on 23-24 January. The following items resulting from that meeting will be of interest to California birders:

          Changes to the STATE LIST:

          Arctic Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis) is removed and replaced with Arctic/Kamchatka Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis/examinandus); at present it is uncertain which of these taxa has occurred in California. The species pair Arctic/Kamchatka Leaf Warbler is also added to the review list.

          Tundra Bean-Goose (Anser serrirostris) is added to the state list (and review list) following the acceptance of the bird at the Salton Sea, Imperial Co. 19 Oct 2013 (CBRC record #2013-181); the species pair Taiga/Tundra Bean-Goose (Anser fabalis/serrirostris) is removed from the state list.

          Changes to the REVIEW LIST:

          Taiga/Tundra Bean-Goose is moved from the main Review List to the supplemental list of reviewed “species groups and hybrid taxa” at the end of the Review List

          Frigatebird sp. is removed from the “species groups and hybrid taxa” supplemental review list and replaced with Magnificent/Great/Lesser Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens/minor/ariel)

          Blue-footed Booby and Yellow-green Vireo are removed from the Review List

          COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP:

          Voting members Jon Dunn, Peter Pyle and Steve Rottenborn rotated off the Committee

          Lauren Harter, Kristie Nelson, and Scott Terrill were elected to the Committee as voting members

          Joe Morlan was re-elected as CBRC Chair

          Dan Singer was re-elected as CBRC Vice-Chair

          Finally, and most importantly, Guy McCaskie retired as Secretary after serving in that role since 2001.

          Tom Benson was elected to replace Guy as Secretary; all documentation of CBRC review species should now go to Tom Benson at secretary@...

          These changes to the State List, Review List, and Committee membership have been made on the CBRC web site by webmaster Joe Morlan; see:

          http://californiabirds.org/

          In particular, note the tribute to outgoing secretary Guy McCaskie at:

          http://californiabirds.org/GuyMcCaskie015.html

          Kimball L. Garrett

          [acting as CBRC spokesperson]

          900 Exposition Blvd.

          Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

          (213) 763-3368

          kgarrett@...

        • Tristan McKee
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 9, 2015
            Thanks to the CBRC for all their good work.

            I was a little disturbed to see Yellow-green Vireo removed from the review list, considering the findings of this major multilocus vireo phylogeny:

            Basically, East Mexican Yellow-greens are poorly differentiated from North American Red-eyeds, while west slope/southern birds are a different beast entirely. Based on current knowledge, if the AOU acts on this, we will not know if we are seeing things that are basically Red-eyed Vireos with yellow-green plumage or the genetically distinct Yellow-greens from the west slope and south.

            Thanks to Alvaro Jaramillo for bringing this paper to my attention a few months back.

            Tristan McKee
            Arcata, CA

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2016

              Birders,

              The California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting at H. T. Harvey and Associates in Los Gatos 29-30 January 2016; here are some of the highlights of that meeting.

              COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

              Jon Feenstra, Guy McCaskie, and Steve Rottenborn were elected as voting members, with Rottenborn also being elected as Chair. Scott Terrill was elected as Vice Chair, and Tom Benson was re-elected as non-voting Secretary. The terms of Joe Morlan, Adam Searcy and Dan Singer expired.

              REVIEW LIST

              Ruddy Ground-Dove was added to the Review List. Since its removal from the Review List in 2004, the small resident population in Calipatria, Imperial County was extirpated (in 2006 or 2007), and there have been only a dozen records elsewhere in the state averaging approximately one per year.

              OTHER DISCUSSIONS/DECISIONS

              The Committee discussed the following issues that may be of general interest to the public:

              There was a discussion on first-cycle "Kumlien's" Iceland Gull records and the Committee's approach to evaluating such records. The Committee members generally agreed that they support a conservative approach to the acceptance of first-cycle Iceland Gull records, while acknowledging that many records that are not accepted may well be valid.

              The following individuals were re-appointed to the Introduced Birds Subcommittee (IBSC): Kimball Garrett, John Garrett, Adam Searcy, and Tom Benson. CBRC member Jim Tietz joins the IBSC as a new appointment.

              The Committee also appointed a steering committee to investigate an expedited review process and the potential use of eBird both as an additional archive and as an alternative reviewing process for select records. The steering committee consists of Tom Benson, Steve Rottenborn, Dan Singer, Jim Tietz, and Adam Searcy.

              WEBSITE

              CBRC Webmaster Joe Morlan has updated the CBRC website with the following changes:

              Ruddy Ground-Dove has been added to the review list (with no evidence code because there is an extant specimen); it is flagged as a review species in the main list,  and the change-log has been updated accordingly:

              http://www.californiabirds.org/list.html

              The bylaws have been updated to reflect minor changes made at the January 2016 meeting; current bylaws are at:

              http://www.californiabirds.org/bylaws.html

              and a version showing changes made at the meeting is at...

              http://www.californiabirds.org/bylaws16rev.html

              The new CBRC member listing is at:

              http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_mem.html

              Finally, I will continue to serve as the occasional CBRC “spokesperson” on Calbirds for the coming year.

              Kimball

              Message 6 of 27 , May 2

                Birders,

                The California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting at the Psomas offices in Pasadena 27-28 January 2017. Belatedly, here are some of the highlights of that meeting.

                COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
                Jon Dunn, Rob Fowler, and Justyn Stahl were elected as voting members. Steve Rottenborn, Scott Terrill, and Tom Benson were re-elected as Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary, respectively. The terms of Brian Daniels, John Garrett, and Jim Tietz expired.

                REVIEW LIST
                Little Gull was removed from the Review List on the basis of the total number of accepted records (118 at the time of the meeting) and relatively straightforward identification. Magnificent Frigatebird was removed based on the number of recently accepted records (75 since the species was added to the Review List in 2010), and Magnificent/Great/Lesser Frigatebird was also removed. No new species were added to the Review List
                , but one species group (Salvin’s/Chatham Albatross) was added.

                OTHER DISCUSSIONS/DECISIONS
                The Committee discussed the following issues that may be of general interest to birders:

                There was extensive discussion of offshore boundaries and the manner in which offshore records are logged by the CBRC, based on recent suggestions by several birders. The Committee did not make any major changes in approach; it will continue to report the locations of offshore records based on “closest point of land” (including islands) without assigning the record to a particular county. Legal county boundaries exist in nearshore waters and certain bays, but for offshore records, the CBRC will continue to report only the county in which the closest point of land lies.

                The Committee established an “expedited review” process by which records of easily identifiable species that are well-supported by photo, video, and/or audio documentation supporting the claimed identification are evaluated more quickly than in the standard review process. Integration of the CBRC records evaluation process with eBird was also discussed. Although the CBRC will continue to consider how the CBRC and eBird processes can assist each other, no specific decisions regarding changes in Committee procedures were reached.

                Identification of subadult Masked and Nazca boobies, including the age at which characters allowing definitive identification may appear and how hybrids between the two species can be identified (or eliminated) in the case of subadults, was discussed. The CBRC will reach out to experts on these species to gather more information for use in evaluating records of subadults. The Committee also discussed records of Plegadis ibis that appear to be Glossy Ibis except for small amounts of pink, red, or purple that was not reported by the observers but that is visible in photos (sometimes limited to a few pixels at high magnification). The potential for such colors to result from some aspect of the photographic process, rather than representing actual pigment, was discussed. Determining when (and whether) hybrids can be eliminated in the case of certain species pairs that are known to interbreed, such as Masked and Nazca booby and White-faced and Glossy ibis, will continue to be challenging.

                Among the specific records that were discussed, two are worthy of some explanation here. The possible Red-backed x Turkestan Shrike at Manchester S.P., Mendocino County 5 Mar-22 Apr 2015 was previously evaluated as a Brown Shrike by the Committee and not accepted as such. At its recent meeting, the Committee reiterated a previous decision not to formally review it as a Red-backed x Turkestan Shrike. The Committee felt that the 2015 paper by Pyle et al. (North American Birds 69:4-35) did an excellent job evaluating the identity of the shrike and concluding that it was most likely a Red-backed x Turkestan hybrid, but that even that paper expressed some uncertainty in this conclusion. Committee members did not feel that the CBRC could bring a more definitive conclusion to this identification. The Committee discussed whether to add Gray Thrasher to the Supplemental List based on the 2 August 2015 record from Famosa Slough, San Diego County. The Supplemental List is for species with records that have not been accepted on the grounds of questionable natural occurrence, but for which a majority of members believe there is enough potential for natural occurrence for inclusion on the Supplemental List. In the case of the Famosa Slough bird, the condition of the bird’s feathering, feet, and bill suggested prior captivity strongly enough that the Committee did not feel that the record warranted adding the species to the Supplemental List.

                The CBRC discussed the possibility of forming a subcommittee to consider whether/how the CBRC might formally evaluate records of birds showing the characters of well-marked subspecies that meet the Committee’s general criteria for review species. The Committee will reach out to individuals (including non-Committee members) who might be interested in serving on the subcommittee and explore this idea further.

                The Introduced Birds Subcommittee (IBSC), consisting of Kimball Garrett, Jim Tietz, John Garrett, and Tom Benson, will continue to monitor whether any introduced species warrant addition to the State List. In the case of introduced species that have been added to the state list in other states (e.g., Florida), the IBSC will look into the species’ relative abundance and distribution in California vs. other states where the species have been added. The IBSC will also consider preparing a list of all introduced species that have been recorded in California, perhaps ranking them according to some as-yet-undetermined status designations.

                Please feel free to visit the CBRC’s webpage at http://www.californiabirds.org/ for updates and additional information. If you have any questions about the CBRC, please contact Steve Rottenborn (
                chair@...) or Tom Benson (secretary@...).

                Finally, I will continue to serve as the occasional CBRC “spokesperson” on Calbirds for the coming year.  I’m not currently on the CBRC, so just the messenger…