Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: News from the California Bird Records Committee

  • tgmiko@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 7 1:39 PM
      Interesting. I have always assumed that some biology grad students would be thrilled to make these exotics as the subject of a Masters or PhD thesis. It could be done within spitting distance of a dozen or so universities.
      This somewhat assumes that said grad student is also a hard-core birder (who, of course, will not fudge their data for selfish purposes a la the 1919 White Sox). Not necessarily: during my banding days I met biology grad students in various parts of the state to whom birds are research subjects interchangeable with lizards or fish.

      Thomas G. Miko
      Http://www.tgmiko.com
      Claremont 91711, LA County
      Mobile: 909.241.3300
      Home: 909.445.1456
      Other Mobile: 213.471.6001

      "The universe is expanding. This should help with the traffic."- Stephen Wright
      Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 21, 2014
        Birders,

        The Western Field Ornithologists' California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting on 17-18 January 2014 in Los Gatos. Below is a brief summary of actions, compiled by Committee Chair Joseph Morlan, relating to committee membership, the state list, and the review list.

        The CBRC web site http://www.californiabirds.org has been updated by webmaster Joseph Morlan to reflect these actions.

        Brian Daniels, John Garrett and Jim Tietz were elected to three-year terms on the Committee. We welcome back Jim who has served previously and has continued to help with the on-line CBRC database. Brian and John will be serving their first terms on the Committee. Rotating off the committee are Kristie Nelson, Jim Pike and Scott Terrill. Joseph Morlan will continue as Chair, Dan Singer as vice-chair and Guy McCaskie as CBRC Secretary.

        Among various by-law revisions was approval of a provision to change the northern offshore boundary with Oregon to the area where the nearest point of land is within 200 nautical miles of the California coast. The area south of 42°N latitude had been used in the past. This change will eliminate a small wedge of offshore waters that were previously considered part of our California waters, but apparently only a single accepted record (of a "Dark-rumped" Petrel) has occurred in that area.

        The committee voted to create a new category (RI) for the California Condor to indicate reintroduction in progress. This species was formerly listed as extirpated (E). Also Nazca Booby was removed from the Supplemental List of species which are of uncertain natural occurrence (the rationale being that the Supplemental List is for species whose provenance is uncertain, whereas we know exactly
        what happened with the ship-assisted Nazca Booby).

        One species group ("frigatebird sp.") was added to the review list based on a vote at the 2013 meeting, while three species and one species pair were removed.

        Removed were:
        Hawaiian Petrel and Galapagos/Hawaiian Petrel (now regular offshore)
        Neotropic Cormorant (increasing rapidly in the Imperial Valley, breeding).
        Pine Warbler (regular winter visitor in coastal Southern California).

        Records of these species beginning 1 January 2014 will not be reviewed by the Committee. However, we continue to urge those who observe these species (and all other rarities) in California to thoroughly document sightings and provide details to the appropriate North American Birds regional or sub-regional editors as well as through eBird.

        Among many additional topics discussed was the desire for photo submissions to be in the form of separate JPEG's with the original metadata (exif) generated by digital cameras rather than (or in addition to) embedded in word processing documents. We continue to urge observers to provide written context with all photo submissions, including circumstances of the sighting, description of behaviors and vocalizations, and anything else not evident in photographs. A revised submission form was approved and is available on our web site.

        Lastly the committee is seeking a volunteer who is familiar with programming in MS Access to help us with our database. We need help creating queries and macros, and updating tables. Please contact Joe
        Morlan (jmorlan@...) if you think you can help.

        We are grateful to H. T. Harvey and Associates for hosting the meeting and generously supplying the sandwiches and pizza that got us through many long discussions; many thanks to CBRC members Steve Rottenborn and Scott Terrill for arranging this. The CBRC thanks its outgoing members for their service, and all of the observers who have submitted documentation of records to the CBRC over the past year.

        This news posted by the CBRC "press secretary":
        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        kgarrett@...
        http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology
      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9

          The California Bird Records Committee held its annual meeting at the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology in Camarillo on 23-24 January. The following items resulting from that meeting will be of interest to California birders:

          Changes to the STATE LIST:

          Arctic Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis) is removed and replaced with Arctic/Kamchatka Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis/examinandus); at present it is uncertain which of these taxa has occurred in California. The species pair Arctic/Kamchatka Leaf Warbler is also added to the review list.

          Tundra Bean-Goose (Anser serrirostris) is added to the state list (and review list) following the acceptance of the bird at the Salton Sea, Imperial Co. 19 Oct 2013 (CBRC record #2013-181); the species pair Taiga/Tundra Bean-Goose (Anser fabalis/serrirostris) is removed from the state list.

          Changes to the REVIEW LIST:

          Taiga/Tundra Bean-Goose is moved from the main Review List to the supplemental list of reviewed “species groups and hybrid taxa” at the end of the Review List

          Frigatebird sp. is removed from the “species groups and hybrid taxa” supplemental review list and replaced with Magnificent/Great/Lesser Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens/minor/ariel)

          Blue-footed Booby and Yellow-green Vireo are removed from the Review List

          COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP:

          Voting members Jon Dunn, Peter Pyle and Steve Rottenborn rotated off the Committee

          Lauren Harter, Kristie Nelson, and Scott Terrill were elected to the Committee as voting members

          Joe Morlan was re-elected as CBRC Chair

          Dan Singer was re-elected as CBRC Vice-Chair

          Finally, and most importantly, Guy McCaskie retired as Secretary after serving in that role since 2001.

          Tom Benson was elected to replace Guy as Secretary; all documentation of CBRC review species should now go to Tom Benson at secretary@...

          These changes to the State List, Review List, and Committee membership have been made on the CBRC web site by webmaster Joe Morlan; see:

          http://californiabirds.org/

          In particular, note the tribute to outgoing secretary Guy McCaskie at:

          http://californiabirds.org/GuyMcCaskie015.html

          Kimball L. Garrett

          [acting as CBRC spokesperson]

          900 Exposition Blvd.

          Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

          (213) 763-3368

          kgarrett@...

        • Tristan McKee
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9
            Thanks to the CBRC for all their good work.

            I was a little disturbed to see Yellow-green Vireo removed from the review list, considering the findings of this major multilocus vireo phylogeny:

            Basically, East Mexican Yellow-greens are poorly differentiated from North American Red-eyeds, while west slope/southern birds are a different beast entirely. Based on current knowledge, if the AOU acts on this, we will not know if we are seeing things that are basically Red-eyed Vireos with yellow-green plumage or the genetically distinct Yellow-greens from the west slope and south.

            Thanks to Alvaro Jaramillo for bringing this paper to my attention a few months back.

            Tristan McKee
            Arcata, CA