New bird info.

  • Jo Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi everyone, a bit over my head but what great info.  Just looked both birds up, if I do see a nutmeg manikin I will let you know.  Have what I believe is a "chicken hawk" huge and fast going after all the little birds in the back yard.  Will try to get a photo but he/it comes out of no where.  The little hummers are not afraid of him I guess they are too small and fast.    I live next to the "Wash" lots of trees and running water.

      Jo Ann Bloomquist
      Arcadia, CA
    • Chuck & Lillian
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
        Jo Ann,
        Here's a few Nutmeg Mannikin sites in LA County.
        http://smbasblog.wordpress.com/los-angeles-county-birding-spots/#4.%20Doves%20and%20Other%20Oddities
        Scroll down until you get to the mannikins.

        Your "chicken hawk" could be a Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk or perhaps one of the small falcons, all predators of small birds.
        Chuck Almdale
        North Hills, Ca.