A Sea of Splendors: August 25, 2013

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2013
      Hello, Birders,

      Folks on board Shearwater Journeys' August 25, 2013 pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay, CA, were greeted to a "Sea of splendors" for nearly 12 hours straight! Sunny and warm, we had flat, calm, mirror-like seas for the entire day. Photography ops were incredible. The sea surface temperature was 60 degrees F before we even reached the 50 fathom line.

      Highlights were many: BULLER'S SHEARWATERS resting on the water in rafts by the hundreds (580 total, for the day); rafts of hundreds of ASHY STORM-PETRELS (1007 total for the day) at the Pioneer Canyon; 2 FORK-TAILED STORM-PETRELS and 20 BLACK STORM-PETRELS came into our oil slick; "grand slam" on all jaegers: POMARINE, PARASITIC, LONG-TAILED as well as a beautiful SOUTH POLAR SKUA; SABINE'S GULLS and ARCTIC TERNS: 3 SCRIPP'S MURRELETS resting on the water; 4 TUFTED PUFFINS AND 32 HUMPBACK WHALES. Finally, a LARGE-BILLED SAVANNAH SPARROW was spotted and photographed on the breakwater at Half Moon Bay, adding to our "rocky shorebird" tally!

      You can see the entire trip report with images here:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-25-2013-half-moon.html

      The best is yet to come! Beginning September 6, we offer sixteen pelagic trips over the next 25 days, departing from Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay and Bodega Bay. See our full schedule here:
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.shtml

      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi