Farallones update, 8/17 - 8/23

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2013
      Greetings Calbirders. The Farallones Fall season crew for Point Blue Conservation Science (formerly PRBO Conservation Science) arrived on Southeast Farallon Island last Saturday, August 17th.

      Weather was fairly good in the middle of the week for migrant landbirds, with light southerly winds and high overcast. Some highlights from the last week include:

      BULLER'S SHEARWATER
      NORTHERN GANNET
      YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD
      BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER
      PHAINOPEPLA
      TENNESSEE WARBLER
      NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH
      HOODED ORIOLE

      Decent numbers of BULLER'S SHEARWATERS have been passing by the island over the past 2 days. A high count of 26 were seen yesterday (8/23) during sea watches.

      The NORTHERN GANNET was seen nearly every day last week, as long as the visibility was far enough for views of Sugarlloaf at the north end of the island.

      One YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD spent three days on the island (Tues-Thurs).

      We banded one BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER on wednesday.

      A male PHAINOPEPLA on wednesday was only the 7th island record. It was our earliest Fall record, and the first since November of 2000.

      One TENNESSEE WARBLER was banded on Thursday.

      A very early NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH was found yesterday. Hopefully the next waterthrush we see will be of the louisiana variety.

      A surprisingly rare bird on SEFi, one HOODED ORIOLE was found on Thursday and banded.

      To see photos of some of the birds in this report, or to learn more about the islands, visit the PRBO Conservation Science Farallones blog:

      <losfarallones.blogspot.com> (updated frequently), or just for photos, visit my picasa web album:

      <https://picasaweb.google.com/dieduffy/SEFI2013>

      Cheers and good birding,

      Dan Maxwell, Nora Livingston, and Jim Tietz
      Southeast Farallon Island
      San Francisco, CA