Re: [SDBIRDS] 2 Craveri's Murrelets, Tropicbird, 2 Brown Boobies

  • Matt Sadowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 8:49 PM
      I posted some shots of the Craveri's Murrelets and Red-billed
      Tropicbird. Also posted some shots of the Leach's Storm-Petrels.

      As Paul mentioned we had the full range of "rumps". Many of the
      dark-rumped birds were likely the locally breeding Leach's and many of
      the paler-rumped birds looked like typical Leach's too. We did have a
      few birds that were possibly smaller looking and very white-rumped
      suggestive of the Guadalupe summer breeding "Townsend's" Storm-Petrel
      (which are known to occur farther off San Diego). It has been a while
      since I've seen one and I don't have much experience with them but I
      posted shots of one white-rumped individual that seemed like a possible
      candidate. Another set shows a darker-rumped bird being chased by Black
      Storm-Petrels. The possibility of tail feather molt in a "regular"
      Leach's probably can't be ruled out for either set.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/68911779@N00/

      Matt Sadowski
      Chula Vista, CA