cruise pelagic Aug 7th: 2 Laysans, 10 Skuas, 1 Scripps's

  • lehman.paul@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2013
      On Weds, Aug 7, we were on the final leg of our latest cruise from San
      Francisco to se. Alaska and back, with the morning spent coming south off
      cen. and s. Oregon and the mid-afternoon and early evening off Del Norte
      and Humboldt Counties, CA--getting too dark to bird just as we arrived
      around the Mendocino Co. border, alas. Highlights of the day included:

      2 LAYSAN ALBATROSSES together ca. 61 km WNW of Cape Mendocino, HUM
      10 South Polar Skuas--a good total (1 off DN, 9 off HUM)
      1 SCRIPPS'S MURRELET ca. 50 km W of Punta Gorda, HUM

      also, misc. totals of:
      27 Black-footed Albatrosses (a bit low)
      12 Buller's Shearwaters
      550 Leach's Storm-Petrels (but only 8 Fork-taileds)
      260 Red Phalaropes
      45 Arctic Terns
      65 Long-tailed Jaegers (good total)
      Also, a pair of SCRIPPS'S/GUADALUPE MURRELETS off cen. Oregon

      Two days earlier, while steaming south off the British Columbia coast, we
      photo'd a GREAT SHEARWATER flying right across the bow--only the second or
      third provincial record. Also in that area were concentrations of 10,000
      Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels and 7000 Leach's, while in one area in Alaska we
      had ca. 5000 Marbled Murrelets (plus 55 Kittlitz's).

      --Paul Lehman & Barbara Carlson -- San Diego (and our Wings group, plus
      Jeff Gilligan, Owen Schmidt)