Trip Report: August 2, 2013 Monterey Bay

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hello, Birders,

      With many thanks to Brian Sullivan, eBird Project Leader, who was co-leading the Shearwater Journeys' August 2 pelagic trip from Monterey, we now know that the HAWAIIAN PETREL which I initially spotted in SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, flew into MONTEREY COUNTY, making it a "twofer" for those folks on board who were county birders. For most folks it was a life bird, including Sandy Komito of The Big Year fame. This represents the third record for Santa Cruz County. The first Santa Cruz County record was on a Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip, August 2, 2009, exactly 4 years ago! Something to think about and plan for next year!

      The MANX SHEARWATER was also in Santa Cruz County.

      The full trip report can be found at:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-2-2013-monterey-bay.html

      In this report, I've included a couple theories about Hawaiian Petrel appearances in such nearshore waters � only a little over 10 miles off Point Pinos.

      Spaces are available on our upcoming trips from Monterey on August 9 & 23; August 17, 18 & 23 from Half Moon Bay and August 30 from Bodega Bay.

      Shearwaters & Petrels Forever,
      Debi

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi