Re: [CALBIRDS] FWD: VEERY

  • Cory Gregory
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
      Another Veery was reported last June in Yolo County as well.

      Good birding,

      Cory Gregory
      Elk Grove, CA

    • Dan Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
        Here are accepted records of Veery since 1998:

        05/16/2003 specimen from Davis, Yolo Co.
        06/19/2004 Lower Rush Creek near Lee Vining, Mono Co.
        06/20-21/2010 Chester, Plumas Co.
        11/03/2010 Humboldt Bay Bird Observatory, Humboldt Co.

        Hopefully documentation for the records this summer will be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Veery remains a very rare species in California.

        Dan Singer
        California Bird Records Committee
        San Rafael

      • Tom Edell
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
          My wife and I camped at Blue Lake in the Warner Mountains yesterday, July 10. We found a pair of Eastern Kingbirds at the northern end of Blue Lake. They were a little west of the boat launch area in the vicinity of the lake outlet. One of the birds was on a nest about 50 feet up a dead pine.

          Tom Edell
          Cayucos, CA

        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
            This has been the spot where they have bred in the past few years, but this is the first sighting for this year despite several birders visiting the area. So thanks for the report.

            John Sterling
            VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

            26 Palm Ave
            Woodland, CA 95695