RE: Re: [CALBIRDS] FWD: VEERY

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
      Hi all,

      Thanks for the extra information. Since there are only ten accepted records for Veery in the state and none since 1998, it shouldn’t be a surprise that many birders would possibly be interested in looking for it.

      Good Birding!

      Ed

      Ed Stonick

      Pasadena, CA

      <mailto:edstonick@...> edstonick@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
        Just to clarify Ed's post. There was a singing Veery in Plumas County in recent years and another singing male in Modoc County this year.

        John Sterling
        VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836
        jsterling@...

      • Cory Gregory
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
          Another Veery was reported last June in Yolo County as well.

          Good birding,

          Cory Gregory
          Elk Grove, CA

        • Dan Singer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
            Here are accepted records of Veery since 1998:

            05/16/2003 specimen from Davis, Yolo Co.
            06/19/2004 Lower Rush Creek near Lee Vining, Mono Co.
            06/20-21/2010 Chester, Plumas Co.
            11/03/2010 Humboldt Bay Bird Observatory, Humboldt Co.

            Hopefully documentation for the records this summer will be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Veery remains a very rare species in California.

            Dan Singer
            California Bird Records Committee
            San Rafael

          • Tom Edell
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
              My wife and I camped at Blue Lake in the Warner Mountains yesterday, July 10. We found a pair of Eastern Kingbirds at the northern end of Blue Lake. They were a little west of the boat launch area in the vicinity of the lake outlet. One of the birds was on a nest about 50 feet up a dead pine.

              Tom Edell
              Cayucos, CA

            • John Sterling
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
                This has been the spot where they have bred in the past few years, but this is the first sighting for this year despite several birders visiting the area. So thanks for the report.

                John Sterling
                VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                26 Palm Ave
                Woodland, CA 95695