Re: [CALBIRDS] FWD: VEERY

  • Graham Chisholm
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10 12:46 PM
      If you google Sierra Nevada Field Campus, you will see a link to directions. Graham

      Graham Chisholm
      Berkeley, CA

      On Jul 10, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Stan Walens <stan.walens@...> wrote:

      > I google-mapped it:
      >
      > Bassetts Station, Sierra City, CA
      >

      > But better directions would be nice.
      >
      > Stan Walens
      > San Diego
      >

      > On Jul 10, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Ed Stonick <edstonick@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > What city, town or county is this?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ed Stonick

    • Bruce E. Webb
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10 12:58 PM
        The Sierra Nevada Field Campus has very limited parking usually with no extra spaces. And there are ongoing classes with students lodging (tents) near the sighting.

        Birders should consider asking for permission from campus staff before simply showing up. It is a long way to go to be denied entry.

        Dave Lukas who found the bird, is teaching a course there. He originally posted to Sierra Nevada birds list, never expecting somebody to re-post to a wider audience.

        Bruce Webb

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10 8:32 PM
          Hi all,

          Thanks for the extra information. Since there are only ten accepted records for Veery in the state and none since 1998, it shouldn’t be a surprise that many birders would possibly be interested in looking for it.

          Good Birding!

          Ed

          Ed Stonick

          Pasadena, CA

          <mailto:edstonick@...> edstonick@...

[...]

          Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
          Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10 8:40 PM
            Just to clarify Ed's post. There was a singing Veery in Plumas County in recent years and another singing male in Modoc County this year.

            John Sterling
            VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

            26 Palm Ave
            Woodland, CA 95695
            530 908-3836
            jsterling@...

          • Cory Gregory
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10 8:48 PM
              Another Veery was reported last June in Yolo County as well.

              Good birding,

              Cory Gregory
              Elk Grove, CA

            • Dan Singer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10 9:10 PM
                Here are accepted records of Veery since 1998:

                05/16/2003 specimen from Davis, Yolo Co.
                06/19/2004 Lower Rush Creek near Lee Vining, Mono Co.
                06/20-21/2010 Chester, Plumas Co.
                11/03/2010 Humboldt Bay Bird Observatory, Humboldt Co.

                Hopefully documentation for the records this summer will be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Veery remains a very rare species in California.

                Dan Singer
                California Bird Records Committee
                San Rafael

              • Tom Edell
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 11 9:23 AM
                  My wife and I camped at Blue Lake in the Warner Mountains yesterday, July 10. We found a pair of Eastern Kingbirds at the northern end of Blue Lake. They were a little west of the boat launch area in the vicinity of the lake outlet. One of the birds was on a nest about 50 feet up a dead pine.

                  Tom Edell
                  Cayucos, CA

                • John Sterling
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11 9:31 AM
                    This has been the spot where they have bred in the past few years, but this is the first sighting for this year despite several birders visiting the area. So thanks for the report.

                    John Sterling
                    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                    26 Palm Ave
                    Woodland, CA 95695