Re: [CALBIRDS] FWD: VEERY

  • Stan Walens
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
      I google-mapped it:

      Bassetts Station, Sierra City, CA

      But better directions would be nice.

      Stan Walens
      San Diego

      On Jul 10, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Ed Stonick <edstonick@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      What city, town or county is this?

      Regards,
      Ed Stonick

      -----Original Message-----

      From: Doug

      Sent: Jul 10, 2013 9:22 AM

      To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [CALBIRDS] FWD: VEERY

      Not sure why this was never posted to Calbirds in the first place.

      Hi All,

      Our bird class spent about 45 minutes with the continuing Veery at the Sierra Nevada Field Campus this morning. It sang and called the entire time and everyone in the group had multiple, and sometimes excellent, views of the bird. It was still present and singing loudly this evening. It's just upstream of the dining hall (near some of the tent cabins so please be respectful if you visit) but down on the river flats among the alder and willow thickets.

      The Field Campus is a mile upstream of Bassett's Station on Hwy. 49.

      Cheers,

      David Lukas

      Author of "Sierra Nevada Birds"

      www.lukasguides.com

      Regards,
      Ed

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA
      edstonick@...

    • Graham Chisholm
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
        If you google Sierra Nevada Field Campus, you will see a link to directions. Graham

        Graham Chisholm
        Berkeley, CA

        On Jul 10, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Stan Walens <stan.walens@...> wrote:

        > I google-mapped it:
        >
        > Bassetts Station, Sierra City, CA
        >

        > But better directions would be nice.
        >
        > Stan Walens
        > San Diego
        >

        > On Jul 10, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Ed Stonick <edstonick@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > What city, town or county is this?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ed Stonick

      • Bruce E. Webb
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
          The Sierra Nevada Field Campus has very limited parking usually with no extra spaces. And there are ongoing classes with students lodging (tents) near the sighting.

          Birders should consider asking for permission from campus staff before simply showing up. It is a long way to go to be denied entry.

          Dave Lukas who found the bird, is teaching a course there. He originally posted to Sierra Nevada birds list, never expecting somebody to re-post to a wider audience.

          Bruce Webb

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
            Hi all,

            Thanks for the extra information. Since there are only ten accepted records for Veery in the state and none since 1998, it shouldn’t be a surprise that many birders would possibly be interested in looking for it.

            Good Birding!

            Ed

            Ed Stonick

            Pasadena, CA

            <mailto:edstonick@...> edstonick@...

[...]

            Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
            Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John Sterling
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
              Just to clarify Ed's post. There was a singing Veery in Plumas County in recent years and another singing male in Modoc County this year.

              John Sterling
              VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

              26 Palm Ave
              Woodland, CA 95695
              530 908-3836
              jsterling@...

            • Cory Gregory
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                Another Veery was reported last June in Yolo County as well.

                Good birding,

                Cory Gregory
                Elk Grove, CA

              • Dan Singer
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Here are accepted records of Veery since 1998:

                  05/16/2003 specimen from Davis, Yolo Co.
                  06/19/2004 Lower Rush Creek near Lee Vining, Mono Co.
                  06/20-21/2010 Chester, Plumas Co.
                  11/03/2010 Humboldt Bay Bird Observatory, Humboldt Co.

                  Hopefully documentation for the records this summer will be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Veery remains a very rare species in California.

                  Dan Singer
                  California Bird Records Committee
                  San Rafael

                • Tom Edell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
                    My wife and I camped at Blue Lake in the Warner Mountains yesterday, July 10. We found a pair of Eastern Kingbirds at the northern end of Blue Lake. They were a little west of the boat launch area in the vicinity of the lake outlet. One of the birds was on a nest about 50 feet up a dead pine.

                    Tom Edell
                    Cayucos, CA

                  • John Sterling
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 11, 2013
                      This has been the spot where they have bred in the past few years, but this is the first sighting for this year despite several birders visiting the area. So thanks for the report.

                      John Sterling
                      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                      26 Palm Ave
                      Woodland, CA 95695