Re: [CALBIRDS] Finding CA Condors

  • Louis Libert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      Pinnacles National Park is a good place to see Condors. I was there in June and saw 5 condors on the Condor Gulch Trail which is on the east side of the park. It's good to check in with the rangers to see where they've been seen recently. They move around quite a bit. There are obviously no guarantees but they have a good chance of seeing them there.

      Louis Libert
      Oakland

      On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:

      > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
      > who want to see a California Condor here in California. Can
      > anyone recommend a location which might produce a condor?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Nancy Kenyon
      > Irvine

    • Raul
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        I've had them at north end of Big Sur South of Carmel Highway 1 at Garrapata Trout Farm Rd./Palo Colorado Rd. usually in early morning sitting on fence posts leading towards the ocean w Turkey Vultures. Once te air warms they take off ad soar around and up behind the mountains.

        Raul Roa
        Whittier, Ca

        Sent from my iPhone
        Raul Roa
        Staff Photographer
        L.A. Times Community News
        (Glendale News-Press,
        Pasadena Sun, Burbank Leader,
        La CaƱada Valley Sun)
        iP: 562-652-6484
        http://raulroa.photoshelter.com
        raul.roa@...
        roaemail@...

        On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon@...> wrote:

        > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
        > who want to see a California Condor here in California....

      • Steve Robinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
          In April of this year I saw 10 condors at Pinnacles National Park either
          coming in to roost or soaring over the ridge. I spotted all of them from my
          RV campsite on three separate evenings. This campsite is on the east side
          of the park. It's apparently a popular site as the Park Service has scopes
          set up permanently for viewing of the condors.

          Steve Robinson

          Newcastle