Re: [CALBIRDS] Finding CA Condors

  • Louis Libert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      Pinnacles National Park is a good place to see Condors. I was there in June and saw 5 condors on the Condor Gulch Trail which is on the east side of the park. It's good to check in with the rangers to see where they've been seen recently. They move around quite a bit. There are obviously no guarantees but they have a good chance of seeing them there.

      Louis Libert
      Oakland

      On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:

      > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
      > who want to see a California Condor here in California. Can
      > anyone recommend a location which might produce a condor?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Nancy Kenyon
      > Irvine

    • Richard Kuehn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        Two locations where I enjoy watching California Condors soar/roost within
        our golden state are either on the west side of the Pinnacles National
        Monument, where the birds have been hacked out, or along Big Sur, where I’ve
        often stopped at the Ranger Station to see if there are any recent carcasses
        (beached whale, dead sea lion, et c) with resultant sightings.

        Good Birding,

        Rich

        Richard Kuehn

        WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

        N 38°45'02" W 123° 31'27"

        HTTP://ourlives-at-windandsea.info <http://ourlives-at-windandsea.info/>

        TSR Wave n Sheep Logo

        Life is NOT a dress-rehearsal!

      • Raul
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
          I've had them at north end of Big Sur South of Carmel Highway 1 at Garrapata Trout Farm Rd./Palo Colorado Rd. usually in early morning sitting on fence posts leading towards the ocean w Turkey Vultures. Once te air warms they take off ad soar around and up behind the mountains.

          Raul Roa
          Whittier, Ca

          Sent from my iPhone
          Raul Roa
          Staff Photographer
          L.A. Times Community News
          (Glendale News-Press,
          Pasadena Sun, Burbank Leader,
          La Cañada Valley Sun)
          iP: 562-652-6484
          http://raulroa.photoshelter.com
          raul.roa@...
          roaemail@...

          On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon@...> wrote:

          > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
          > who want to see a California Condor here in California....

        • Steve Robinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            In April of this year I saw 10 condors at Pinnacles National Park either
            coming in to roost or soaring over the ridge. I spotted all of them from my
            RV campsite on three separate evenings. This campsite is on the east side
            of the park. It's apparently a popular site as the Park Service has scopes
            set up permanently for viewing of the condors.

            Steve Robinson

            Newcastle