Finding CA Condors

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
      who want to see a California Condor here in California. Can
      anyone recommend a location which might produce a condor?

      Thanks.

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine
    • Louis Libert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        Pinnacles National Park is a good place to see Condors. I was there in June and saw 5 condors on the Condor Gulch Trail which is on the east side of the park. It's good to check in with the rangers to see where they've been seen recently. They move around quite a bit. There are obviously no guarantees but they have a good chance of seeing them there.

        Louis Libert
        Oakland

        On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:

        > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
        > who want to see a California Condor here in California. Can
        > anyone recommend a location which might produce a condor?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Nancy Kenyon
        > Irvine

      • Richard Kuehn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
          Two locations where I enjoy watching California Condors soar/roost within
          our golden state are either on the west side of the Pinnacles National
          Monument, where the birds have been hacked out, or along Big Sur, where I’ve
          often stopped at the Ranger Station to see if there are any recent carcasses
          (beached whale, dead sea lion, et c) with resultant sightings.

          Good Birding,

          Rich

          Richard Kuehn

          WindandSea at The Sea Ranch

          N 38°45'02" W 123° 31'27"

          HTTP://ourlives-at-windandsea.info <http://ourlives-at-windandsea.info/>

          TSR Wave n Sheep Logo

          Life is NOT a dress-rehearsal!

        • Raul
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
            I've had them at north end of Big Sur South of Carmel Highway 1 at Garrapata Trout Farm Rd./Palo Colorado Rd. usually in early morning sitting on fence posts leading towards the ocean w Turkey Vultures. Once te air warms they take off ad soar around and up behind the mountains.

            Raul Roa
            Whittier, Ca

            Sent from my iPhone
            Raul Roa
            Staff Photographer
            L.A. Times Community News
            (Glendale News-Press,
            Pasadena Sun, Burbank Leader,
            La Cañada Valley Sun)
            iP: 562-652-6484
            http://raulroa.photoshelter.com
            raul.roa@...
            roaemail@...

            On Jul 7, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon@...> wrote:

            > I received an inquiry from visiting birders from back east
            > who want to see a California Condor here in California....

          • Steve Robinson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
              In April of this year I saw 10 condors at Pinnacles National Park either
              coming in to roost or soaring over the ridge. I spotted all of them from my
              RV campsite on three separate evenings. This campsite is on the east side
              of the park. It's apparently a popular site as the Park Service has scopes
              set up permanently for viewing of the condors.

              Steve Robinson

              Newcastle