Re: PIUTE PONDS WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERSt

  • n6aa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
      At least 4 birders searched, unsuccessfully, for White-rumped Sandpipers at Piute Ponds this afternoon. One person checked the nearby Lancaster Sewage Ponds as well.

      There is not much water in the ponds, and I left feeling that there was little likelihood of the sandpipers hiding at the ponds. They were pretty well covered.

      This does not, of course, guarantee that they are not still present. Your milage may vary.

      Dick Norton
      Topanga, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "golfbirdie25" <turlslb@...> wrote:

      > Jim Moore just called and reported he has been watching two White-rumped sandpipers at the main lake at Piute ponds this morning 7-3-13 as of 1115 hrs. He has obtained photos and will post later.The birds were spooked by an Avocet and he has been trying to relocate them. Steve Turley Long Beach

    • T.G. Miko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
        Richard et al,
        Here is my concern: the last i.e. the first White-rumped Sandpiper in
        LA County was seen one day, then re-found the next morning, then never
        seen again. What I'm worried about is that I will play it safe and
        stay home Thursday morning "because it's gone" then wind up like I did
        the last time: gnashing my teeth when someone reports it tomorrow
        (Thursday) morning.
        Tom

        Tom Miko
        Claremont, LA County