Modoc Co. July 1

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2013
      Hi All!

      Just returned from a great WFO NE CA trip led by Jon Dunn, Dave Quady, and Ken Able, so thought I would share a few rare Modoc Co sightings from yesterday.

      At the bridge in Adin was a BLACK PHOEBE carrying food. We determined the nest was under the bridge but the phoebe choose not to show us which of the 2 nests it was using.

      While watching the phoebe Pat Bachetti found a female CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER in a willow along the south side of the creek. She managed to snap some good photos for documentation. Unfortunately only a few of us were able to see the CSWA before it flew up river.

      Continuing on to Day, Jon Dunn noticed an adult male PURPLE MARTIN flying overhead. This bird was seen around the intersection of Day Rd & Irma Ln ~ at 1115.

      Not sure how many records there are for any of these birds in Modoc. John?

      A Great trip!
      Frances
      Lodi, CA

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2013
        Thanks for the report. Purple Martins are uncommon and local in western Modoc County, so this sighting comes as no surprise. Adin has several records of Black Phoebe in recent years and is the only location in the county where one may have a reasonable chance to see one. This species has been expanding north and east over the past 25 years and has been found in modoc county only within the last five or so years.

        There is one and perhaps two Modoc records for Chestnut-sided Warbler in Modoc, both at Modoc National Wildlife Refuge. I saw one in late May in 1990 and I believe that refuge staff had another earlier record. So this is the first mid summer record and a great find in Adin.

        John

        Sent from my iPad

        John Sterling
        530 908-3836