Eastern Whip-poor-will wrap up

  • David Suddjian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013
      It looks like the chapter on the Eastern Whip-poor-will at Valencia Creek
      Ranch at Aptos has probably concluded. The bird was so far last detected on
      the evening of June 19. After the first week of June it became notably less
      vocal than when it was first discovered and when so many birders were able
      to enjoy its presence. After the first week of June, it called only briefly
      on some evenings, and some nights there were no "whip-poor-will" calls at
      all. In discussion with those who heard the bird when it was first
      discovered, we were able to pin down May 17 as the first date it was heard.
      Thus, its stay was May 17 to June 19.

      We are grateful to the Patti and Graham Bubb and Melanie Wirtanen who
      hosted birders. And I can report on their behalf that they were delighted
      with the courtesy and respect of all their guests from May 25 to June 2,
      making it a very positive experience for them to have shared this great
      bird with us.

      David Suddjian
      Santa Cruz County bird records compiler